Pregnancy diet advice

Options
a92882
a92882 Posts: 10 Member
Newly pregnant and never hit my first goal which I'm about 10 lbs away from but I know it's impossible to lose now. How much did you add in calories per day and how to control those obnoxious cravings that I know are coming my way? !! I will be 8 months in December and being pregnant during the holidays is going to take a lot of self control! !

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I craved spaghetti when I was pregnant. Fortunately my husband is a big spaghetti fan too so we just had it a lot. Probably at least 3x/week.

I didn't add a certain number of calories. I am hesitant to recommend a specific number.
  • a92882
    a92882 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was having a really hard time shedding these last 10 lbs so it's really hard not to fall into the "oh well I'm gonna get fat anyway" mentality! !
  • phathui5
    phathui5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating a balanced diet; fruit, veggies, yogurt, whole grains, water, plenty of protein.
  • oana_elena_constantin
    Options
    I think I was craving everything lol. Please don't get into that state of "oh well I can eat anything " and hide behind pregnancy like I did because every kg that you gain will be a kg that will be very difficult to shed away. Obviously you can't diet now but be aware of your choices and only eat what is good for your baby and you. I started pregnancy at 77kg and hit 110 kg when I delivered. now at 87kg with baby 6 months old and 14 kg away from my target weight. PS congratulations for your baby :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is a matter of whether by the time you give birth you want to have these 10 lbs to lose or 50-100 lbs extra. Baby, placenta, extra blood etc, will be a total of 20-25 lbs. The rest, will be body fat. I have not checked your stats, but if you are concerned now about being overweight, even losing some body fat while pregnant might be possible or even recommended, so talk to your dr who will be able to tell you what is the safest plan. In any case, do not go into this with the mentality "I am pregnant, I might as well eat as much as I like, the baaaaby craves X or Y", because you will be regretting it 10 months from now. Everythign in moderation.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    you probably should consult your doctor (and not internet strangers) about how much to eat/ how much to gain, as we dont know your health or babys heath and possible issues.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I really focused on the nutrition requirements from the midwife (so many servings of vegetables, protein, fruit, etc) and didn't bother counting calories. I indulged my cravings once a month on my checkup days, so it was a great reward for surviving the stress of a medical visit, plus, kept the indulgence from becaming a part of my daily routine. Good luck!!!
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ask your dr or midwife for advice, but definitely do NOT try to lose weight while pregnant. if you are carrying a single baby, you really only need a few hundred extra calories per day to nourish the baby. and those need to be healthy calories, such as fruits, veggies, milk if you drink it, meats if you're not vegan. having cake or other treats is fine as long as you don't overdo it. face the fact that you WILL gain weight, but it's worth it in the end. try to think about this time next year, you will be walking the stroller with your new baby and losing all those unwanted pounds. congrats! :smile:
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You don't add any extra calories until your last trimester.
    Don't gain weight you don't need to and will just have to lose after the birth of your child.