Valid complaint?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
After finishing my session with a client tonight, I was approached by a very fit looking female on a gym pass. She was wearing just a sports bra and short spandex pants.
Her complaint was that while working out in the free weight area, one of the members kept looking over at her every few minutes. This member is a regular and I've NEVER had a complaint (nor heard of one) and is probably one of the nicest guys in the gym. So I told her I'd TALK to him.
So I went over to him and pretty much just said "Hi, how you been?" I glanced back at the lady and she looked back, smiled and then left. I then just said, "just checking to see how your workouts have been since I haven't talk to you in awhile." Then I said bye and left him.
Obviously I didn't address the issue because I didn't really see it as a valid complaint.

Agree or disagree?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Agree
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Agree. Definitely not valid. If he would've said something strange to her or started to gesture to her, then that's a different story. But since she just complained about him looking at her, there's not much to that. (I've noticed that in the gym, people like to glance in the mirrors a lot. That could have been mistaken for him glancing at her, when he was actually looking around her to see in the mirror.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Agree.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Agree
  • _kariann__
    _kariann__ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agreed
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    You're a better man than I am. I wouldnt have even bothered walking over to the guy over something like that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You're a better man than I am. I wouldnt have even bothered walking over to the guy over something like that.
    Sometimes you have to pacify people to keep sanity. People get angry when they feel they are being ignored and I just wanted to go home, rather than try to explain to the the MOD why I disregarded her complaint if she ended up going to the front desk and complaining I did nothing at all.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well I guess she's starting to figure out what she can do about her problem. Is this about her manner of dress? Is it about whether or not she feels safe? It's not clear what is really happening here, maybe she perceives a greater threat....maybe she's right. But now she has made you aware she has a concern. Hope everything works out well.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Well I guess she's starting to figure out what she can do about her problem. Is this about her manner of dress? Is it about whether or not she feels safe? It's not clear what is really happening here, maybe she perceives a greater threat....maybe she's right. But now she has made you aware she has a concern. Hope everything works out well.
    I'm sure it's about her dress. Hardly any female in our facility dresses that way, even the hot ones. I estimate she was in her mid 20's and that was the first time I've ever seen her. Most of our members are from 30 up to 80 years old, so maybe she felt intimidated by an older man staring at her. Who knows, but I do know that anyone dressing up with just a sports bra and short spandex will get a second or 3rd glance from men and women since it's not a common thing here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm sure it's about her dress. Hardly any female in our facility dresses that way, even the hot ones. I estimate she was in her mid 20's and that was the first time I've ever seen her. Most of our members are from 30 up to 80 years old, so maybe she felt intimidated by an older man staring at her. Who knows, but I do know that anyone dressing up with just a sports bra and short spandex will get a second or 3rd glance from men and women since it's not a common thing here.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then I'm sure you'll hear from her again. LoL
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Then I'm sure you'll hear from her again. LoL
    No doubt. Maybe unless of course it's during the time the "young bucks" are in working out and staring.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At what point does he cross a line? A man at the gym has made a point of positioning himself to watch me while I work out. I make it a point to block his view. After a while he got my point. I did not change my manner of dress. Another man followed me around the gym and made it a point to watch me, and to take a machine next to me....he fully exercised his right to the gym in an In-Your-Face kind of way, he was really intimidating to me, he made my heart pound. When I adjusted the times I went (I went earlier), so did he. Never at any time did I talk to him or look at him directly. I really did not know who I could tell? Who else would notice this subtle intimidation. If he was pals with the managers, I mean, what would I say...this? Who would care?

I don't know this girl's story, but i'll be the last one to judge her. For myself, I was just getting back exercising and taking care of myself, my youngest child (I have 5 children) was just finished nursing. I wanted some "me" time and was baffled that I was getting harrassed. I was so exhausted and just wanted to take care of my poor trashed nervous system and need for self-care. I wore sweats and a loose tshirt. I really couldn't cope with the stress, nor fight back. confrontation was not in my toolbox, and I was valuing my anonymity. It was a small no-classes gym. It was a gym close to me that I could attend and still get back in time to a waking baby and family. Do **I** have to change gyms? Should I put on more clothing?
    So I would say... be aware without judging either one of them?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Crossing the line would be contact when none is wanted. Yes there are some people who just stare at others, but it's not a crime. Could it lead to something else? Possibly, but one can't condemn anyone just for looking especially if what one is wearing is drawing attention to themselves. This just doesn't happen at gyms, but libraries, schools, and even at work for lots of people.
    Let's look at it another way: one of our members is gay and he wears his hair and some of the "loudest" clothing. He gets stares ALL the time. What if he were to come and say the same to me? I'd treat it just like I did the last one.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • HollyMGT
    HollyMGT Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If she's only wearing a bra and shorts, duh, guys are going to look! Her outfit is screaming "LOOK AT ME!" She could at least put a tank top on.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It's like a real life MFP forums played out.

It's too early to tell what might be the real issue - if it is her or the guy is really doing anything creepy. I think ya acknowledged both parties and you'll just have to see.