Is Anyone Here Experiencing the "Joy" of Tamoxifen?

Options
Lidror
Lidror Posts: 2 Member
If so, have you experienced any weight gain? I have been the same size for years, started the Tamoxifen in April 2013, and (fortunately) had no real problems until February, 2015.

Then, BAM!!! I gained 20+ pounds.

I know that the medical community believes that there is no correlation between Tamoxifen and weight gain, but I would love to hear your story, especially if you have any strategies for success.

Thank you!!

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Nope, likely you've eaten at a surplus thus causing the weight gain. Eat at a deficit, and you'll lose it
  • Lidror
    Lidror Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you taking Tamoxifen?
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's very likely that you're experiencing a gain from the side effect of the steroids they gave you in conjunction with the Taxol and Adriamycin and Cytoxan regimens. Taxol is believed to cause a weight loss over time, but it probably has more to do with the steroids finally working their way out of your body.

I am triple negative, survivor cancer free for 4 years now, and did not take Tamoxifen because of the triple negative status, but I had weight gain.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is listed as a common side effect of Tamoxifen.
  • jld1675
    jld1675 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started Tamoxifen June of last year after radiation and gained about 10lbs. I eat fewer calories, exercise more than ever and still can't lose it. Tamoxifen has tons of side effects, including weight gain, that doctors choose to ignore. I weighed my options before starting it and decided the side effects were worth the risk, definitely better than going through cancer again.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you gained a significant amount of weight quite suddenly. If you're sure nothing has changed in your eating/exercise routine, you might want to consult your doctor. <3
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My wife takes Tamoxifen and hasn't gained weight.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    My mother gained about 20 to 30 pounds when the doctors conned her into taking it. Along with a bunch of other unpleasant side effects. When she stopped, she dropped the weight, and is now about 15 pounds underweight with digestive problems (those might not be a result of the drug, but who knows). And she didn't eat more while she was on it.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I gained 20lbs in 3 months after starting Tamoxifen, but I was under duress from the stress of cancer and my activity level plummeted while healing during reconstruction. In January I joined MFP, started logging everything I eat, watching my calories and increased my activity level (my fitbit has been very helpful!). I've lost 23lbs so far and plan on another 10lbs before my next oncology follow up in July. Originally, I wanted to show my oncologist that Tamoxifen was making me gain, but the jokes on me. Perhaps my metabolism is a bit slower now, but I can still lose weight. I just have to be very careful about what I eat. I also found that the more I exercise, the fewer side effects I experience from the drug. In fact I have almost zero side effects now aside from the occasional hot flash. The overweight and inactive ladies in my support group tend to have a lot of side effects.
    I had my exchange surgery almost 6 weeks ago, so 2 more weeks and I'm cleared for lifting weight/yoga/pilates and I can hardly wait! (I'm not supposed to engage the pecs for at least 8 weeks after surgery for fear my implants will migrate towards my armpits...the horror!). I agreed to be a model in a BC fundraiser fashion show this October and I want to look amazing with some serious muscle definition. Yes, it's a bit shallow, but it's what motivates me!
    Anyhow, I wanted you to know that weight loss on Tamoxifen can be achieved. You may have to work a little harder for it. Feel free to friend me for support and motivation.
  • jld1675
    jld1675 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good for you SunflowerCat74! I totally agree that exercise keeps the side effects at bay.
  • lizscan
    lizscan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I found this , I'm new to this group , I also had bc and I'm on tamoxifen for 5 years , 1 year done and cannot shift any weight , working out 5 days a week and tracking , I was wondering too had anyone success in losing the weight