Legs

Options
peacepaint3
peacepaint3 Posts: 3 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
How can I get my thighs in shape without running? I power walk but I have bad knees so they couldn't take the impact of running.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Squats?
  • peacepaint3
    peacepaint3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can't, it's too much on my knee. Thank you though!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, lunges, hip thrusters, YES squats (start unweighted). OR, you can try one of these!
    amst18azacdp.jpeg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Elliptical, lunges, hip thrusters, YES squats (start unweighted). OR, you can try one of these!
    amst18azacdp.jpeg

OMG. I wonder if mine is still in my closet back at my parents house...I should whip that puppy out.
  • Amyaya
    Amyaya Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My legs are becoming so hard even when not trying to flex them but I am not a fan of the shape of my legs. They look thicker and chubbier than I would like.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cycling! I tried running, but can't due to bad knees, but I can pedal like a sonofabitch! My quads, hammies and glutes are really gaining in strength and definition. Cycling has also been the driving force behind delaying my inevitable knee replacement surgery (I was anticipating surgery in June) for several years. Cycling is AWESOME!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP, what exactly is your idea of "in shape"? Are you speaking in terms of strength/aesthetics/both? If it is fat you want to lose, you have to just lose fat in general. If you're in the process of losing a lot of fat, you might want to find some resistance training you can do to help you save muscle as you lose, which will give them a more pleasing appearance once you've hit your goal.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Can you lift any weights at all? Maybe talk to your doctor and see about lifting
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Spin class. Great all around for your legs, especially hamstrings in my experience. Also no impact!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cycling is easy on the knees.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just a note: Practically every client I have who claimed to have bad knees really didn't. They just had "weak" knees due to NOT exercise the muscles that help support the knee joint. Consequently when learning how to exercise these muscle correctly, knee pain went away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges are the BOMB!

That that thing Lis posted is supposed to be good too! :D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    How can I get my thighs in shape without running? I power walk but I have bad knees so they couldn't take the impact of running.

Cycling ... lots and lots of cycling! :)

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees too and I love the bike..... Swimming works great too
    Probably should see a physical therapist for strengthens exercise.... Like straight leg raises, bridges, knee extensions...
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't run either unless I am in an anti-gravity treadmill... To relieve stress on my knees... But getting better every day
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Dance!

I have an actual bad knee (completely torn ACL on one side) but dancing, walking and swimming all seem to work for me.

I definitely recommend physical therapy--it can make a huge difference in the short term as well as giving you tools for dealing with challenges in the long term.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    amst18azacdp.jpeg
    I might have to get one of these!
    My thighs are my 'problem area' too.
  • arditarose
    Options
    amst18azacdp.jpeg
    I might have to get one of these!
    My thighs are my 'problem area' too.

lol