going to gym

Options
I'm new here. I have been going back to the gym almost daily. I stay for about 1.5 hrs. I feel like I need to stay longer but just can't. Does anyone else feel the same way.

Replies

• goldenstone01
    goldenstone01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to do that and I wasn't losing any weight. I finally asked my personal trainer as to why I wasn't losing weight. He told me I was over working my muscles and not letting them rest. He also stated Its not how long your at the gym, Its about the proper exercises. He put me on a schedule for every other day for no longer than 1.5 hrs (since 1 hour was used for cardio. I have a family history of heart disease). He was right! I lost a lot of weight. Good luck with your weight loss journey
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's not how long you are in the gym. It's what you do that matters more. HIIT training is good if you want to get some work done in a short period of time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. I used to think 1.5 hours was good, though sometimes I'd be in there farting around for 2 hours. Now I'm always trying to get in and out in an hour, except on my heavy leg day.
  • lazeydazey
    lazeydazey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I've been going to the gym almost daily and doing cardio when I go. I have a trainer that I hired and I see him once or twice a week for 25 minutes a visit. Should I be doing the other programs that he gave me on other days that I go or should it be all cardio one day and resistance training the other days. IF this makes sense at all.
  • SimonCypher
    SimonCypher Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to think I would need to go to the gym for a couple of hours to make any progress. However I'm in and out when doing weights in an hour as I utilise the time I have and make the most of it. I find myself progressing a lot more with a shorter more focused workout. If I'm hitting cardio then it will be longer.
  • lazeydazey
    Options
    :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    lazeydazey wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. I've been going to the gym almost daily and doing cardio when I go. I have a trainer that I hired and I see him once or twice a week for 25 minutes a visit. Should I be doing the other programs that he gave me on other days that I go or should it be all cardio one day and resistance training the other days. IF this makes sense at all.

You can do a bit of cardio on your resistance training days. I don't know your program, but with heavy lifting you might not want to do HIIT afterward.
  • lazeydazey
    Options
    Thank you. I will do some of the resistance training tomorrow.
  • lazeydazey
    Options
    lazeydazey wrote: »
    Thank you. I will do some of the resistance training tomorrow. I'm still only doing cardio .
  • lazeydazey
    Options
    Thank you. I will do some of the resistance training tomorrow. I'm still only doing cardio .