In 5 weeks time I'll be 10lbs lighter......yeah right!!!!

Options
I always complete my food and exercise diary on MFP and everyday it tells me that "if everyday were like today I will weigh 10lbs less in 5 weeks"...(sometimes more!). Well....since I've been using this site I have never met that expectation.....in fact I know it is impossible for me to lose that much in 5 weeks...even if I did follow the same diet and exercise to the letter. I was just wondering if any of you guys actually do achieve the 5 week weight target that MFP sets for you...as it all looks like wishful thinking to me! :noway:

Replies

• TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    So far I am pretty close. Says I am supposed to be 250 by the 28th, and I am 256 now. So we shall see. I think it is kind of supposed to a motivator. I take it with a grain of salt. I just get frusterated when it tells me I didnt eat enough just bc I didnt eat back all ,y exercise calories.
  • January91968
    Options
    Hi I just started and I get the message everyday if I at like today I will weight like 200 yes I am fat. At 5'9
    but I just started last week and I lost four ponds. Now I know I didnt loose four pounds but that is what the scale says it must have had a lot of water last time I weighed my self.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Good post and the answer for me is "nope", that said I do lost weight over that time but not as much as 2 lbs per week sadly...
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No I have never met it. Last night when I completed my diary it said in 5 weeks I would be 197! It's not realistic though. That would mean I would lose 12 pounds over a 5 week span and just not that lucky! LOL
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just recently decided to keep track of that prediction. 5 wks. ago i was supposed to be able to get to 160 lbs. by May 28. Well, I beat that goal. I weighed in at 160 lbs. 2 days ago. Looking forward to beating the next prediction!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Haha! I always pay attention to mine too!! Mine keeps on saying anywhere from 193-195 in 5 weeks! I hope so, but I've charted my own progress and according to my own calculations I should be at 200 at the end of May. I'm not holding my breath on the future readings here, but OMG, I would be thrilled if it were right!!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    nope nowhere near I just ignore it now:laugh:
  • jreese5226
    jreese5226 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am pretty far from my goal weight and it has been pretty accurate for me along the way. I anticipate that once I get to within 20 pounds of my goal weight it will no longer be as accurate.
  • usaeagge
    usaeagge Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been using the system for a week now. I have a recommended caloric intake of 1,800 calories per day to lose 2 pounds per week. I am averaging closer to 1,500 calories per day. Since I am a 38 year old male, and weigh in at 278 pounds at 6'0" tall I will lose weight rather quickly for the initial period (8 pounds the first week (same scale, same time weighing every morning). This will obviously slow down as I lose more weight and need fewer calories to sustain my daily activities. Also, due to the low caloric intake, I am supplementing my diet with vitamin tablets to ensure I get enough nutrients to keep my body running.
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    It has been pretty close for me. But I recognize that this isn't the case for everyone. That being said, I think the "prediction" is really a median guideline. As with any guideline, there are those who fall inside the curve, and those who fall outside the curve. Put them all together and you find your "average." I think that's how MFP is set up. Don't let that number get you down...everyone's different!!!
  • chicorac
    chicorac Posts: 34
    Options
    I actually have. It told me I'd lose 10 punds in 5 weeks and I lost 10.5.

I think water, sodium and fat consumption in addition to calories also has a lot to do with it. They recomend 8 cups of water to flush your system. The more water I drink I realize the more weight I lose. Too much sodium makes me retain water and to much fat has the same consequences for me as to many calories. Just my take...
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It works for me! I record all the numbers five weeks ahead in the notes section of my food diary.....Then I take the 7 days (because each day for me is slightly different) and divide by 7. I just worked my week out for you......according to MFP, I will weigh 220 today, I am 221 right now :D

I think the key is being consistant......that's why I record all days and average them out....of course I need to make sure that all my days in between that five weeks were "just like today"......and plateaus will throw it off.....high sodium.....and it's just a program after all :)
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I actually have. It told me I'd lose 10 punds in 5 weeks and I lost 10.5.

I think water, sodium and fat consumption in addition to calories also has a lot to do with it. They recomend 8 cups of water to flush your system. The more water I drink I realize the more weight I lose. Too much sodium makes me retain water and to much fat has the same consequences for me as to many calories. Just my take...

Exactally right.
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @Ashleypeterson - Hello?? You lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks and you don't think you can lose 12 in 5 weeks??

Regardless of whether we reach that "prdeictor" or not, you are all doing a fabulous job! Keep it up!! I never paid attention to what mine said. I'll have to jot it down and see if it accurate. Even if it's not, it is a nice little motivator!
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    @Ashleypeterson - Hello?? You lost 16 lbs in 4 weeks and you don't think you can lose 12 in 5 weeks??

Regardless of whether we reach that "prdeictor" or not, you are all doing a fabulous job! Keep it up!! I never paid attention to what mine said. I'll have to jot it down and see if it accurate. Even if it's not, it is a nice little motivator!

Ya, ya. LOL But it's really starting to slow down now to a normal rate....I'm not worried about it though....
  • ragdoll7
    ragdoll7 Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I've got to hand it to you guys who have managed to meet your 5 week targets...you are obviously doing everything right! I have only managed to lose a stone since January which equates to a 10lb weight loss in 5 months let alone 5 weeks! I am not too worried though because since I started my weight loss journey 2 years ago I have lost a total of 3 stone in weight so it is working slowly but surely....I reckon 2 lbs weight loss a month is good going for me. This now leads me to question the calorific accuracy of all the foodstuffs I am putting in my dairy..as for the amount of calories I am actually burning through exercise according to MFP....well thats a totally different story!
    :huh:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have never kept track of MFP predictions but I started here on July 21 2010 after a visit to my Doctor. There I found myself at the most I have EVER weighed. At 5'3 I can not carry 247 but there I was. I came home and promply started at MFP. In 10 months I have dropped 97 pounds. I weigh myself every Monday so I could very well be at the 100 pound mark. That would mean I have an average of 10 pounds a month.
    In the beginning I was losing 2-3 pounds a week. Lately it is about a pound a week. When I started I didn't exercise at all. Now I am walking 2-3 times a week and Belly Dancing class once a week. I should be at my goal in 10 pounds.
    Good luck with your goals. Never give up.
    peggy
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    ..as for the amount of calories I am actually burning through exercise according to MFP....well thats a totally different story!
    :huh:

MFP isn't totally accurate about the amount of calories burned during exercise - it's just a generic number.

If you want to know exactly what you burn, then you need to get a HRM.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well, I have lost 30lbs in 10 weeks. I'm doing Atkins and watching my calorie intake. My calorie intake hasn't gone about 1500 in the last couple of months. I'm not sure how it works if you just count calories though. I've never known anyone who actually did that.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    nope! :laugh: