Making lemon water more bearable?

Options
evillottie
evillottie Posts: 11 Member
I've read about the benefits of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning and I've been trying to give it a go. One slight problem...I hate lemon! I squeeze the juice of a whole lemon into a large glass of water and do my best to chug it down. Anyone else drink lemon water and is there any way (other than adding sugar) to make it more enjoyable?!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    drink it hot like tea ?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, then don't drink it... What benefits could it have that you're willing to suffer?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What benefits do you really think lemon water has and why in the morning? It has some vitamin C, but an orange has more, and so does e.g. a kiwi or a strawberry.
  • missnamorley
    missnamorley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hate lemon so I have a cup of hot water with sliced orange it in. Very yummy and refreshing! X
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    The "benefits" are more than likely exaggerated. Don't like it, don't drink it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • justme_Ally
    justme_Ally Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try fruit infused water. It's even better than lemon with water. You add all the fruits you like, some mint(optional), let it in the water for the night and the second day you drink it. It's amazing, trust me! yummy and healthy
  • evillottie
    evillottie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks :-) I like the idea of using other fruits to infuse the water. I had read that lemon water has lots of vitamins and aids digestion and weight loss.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Aiding digestion is not actually helpful hun. You want to lose fat. Who cares if you weigh a little less because you have less waste inside you. The waste comes back. Just drink what you like, don't suffer. Work out and eat better. Be patient.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    A whole lemon is way too much! - no wonder it tastes awful. I used to drink lemon water every morning during a very healthy phase when I gave up morning tea; I used a lemon wedge (around a quarter of a small lemon) in a cup of hot water. (Pour boiling water over and let it cool down to a drinkable temperature.) Now you've reminded me of this I might start drinking it again!
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt it will have an impact on your weightloss but I like to drink it

Half a lemon juiced, 1 teaspoon of honey, one tea strainer of lemongrass tea. all heated up in a pan for 6mins with the other half the lemon floating around in the pan. Remove lemon and tea strainer and tastes great.
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of lemon water with a bit of Himalayan salt every morning.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you dont like it, why try to force yourself to drink it?
  • RedRockChic
    RedRockChic Posts: 69 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love how she *asked* everyone's opinion of the benefit of drinking lemon water, rather than just suggestions on how to choke it down every morning.

OP, if you feel it benefits you, do it - and even if it doesn't, the psychological effects of "feeling like it is benefitting you" is so much healthier than the psychological effects of beating yourself up for not trying something/anything.

From the physiological aspect of it, putting anything in your water causes your body to process it differently. That is not a bad thing, but something you should know when you change things up like that. Your body is very efficient at processing water, and it is best to have "straight" water when you are trying to avoid dehydration, however, that being said... there are purposes for drinking water with something in it as well, and in a longer process it does help fight dehydration.

My information is based on my medical knowledge, professional and personal, just so that it is known I'm not pulling it outta my *ss.

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    evillottie wrote: »
    I've read about the benefits of drinking lemon water first thing in the morning and I've been trying to give it a go. One slight problem...I hate lemon! I squeeze the juice of a whole lemon into a large glass of water and do my best to chug it down. Anyone else drink lemon water and is there any way (other than adding sugar) to make it more enjoyable?!

Add sugar and ice.

However, I'm not sure I see the benefits of drinking lemon water over regular water, really.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    personally i like the juice of a quarter lemon, not a whole, with cinnamon and a few drops of honey, and i only drink it because i like the taste. if you don't like it, don't force yourself to drink it. if you want health benefits you could have decaf green tea, or for hydration find a recipe for some cool infused waters.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I was never one to force myself to drink or eat something that I considered unbearable.

I remember the first time I tried Barley Green. I was told it would change my life. Blah blah blah blah. One sip - I couldn't even swallow it. I was told I'd get used to it. No. No. No. That stuff may be good for cows, but not for me.

I think my quality of life is much better now that I am NOT forcing myself to "get used to it." I get my vitamins and nutrients from normal food like salad and veggies and ...meat.

If you don't enjoy lemon water, if it makes you cringe, for heaven's sake...stop trying to drink it. You will be happier, I promise.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Your teeth will be happier if you don't drink it at all. Just drink plain water.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I love how she *asked* everyone's opinion of the benefit of drinking lemon water, rather than just suggestions on how to choke it down every morning.

OP, if you feel it benefits you, do it - and even if it doesn't, the psychological effects of "feeling like it is benefitting you" is so much healthier than the psychological effects of beating yourself up for not trying something/anything.

From the physiological aspect of it, putting anything in your water causes your body to process it differently. That is not a bad thing, but something you should know when you change things up like that. Your body is very efficient at processing water, and it is best to have "straight" water when you are trying to avoid dehydration, however, that being said... there are purposes for drinking water with something in it as well, and in a longer process it does help fight dehydration.

My information is based on my medical knowledge, professional and personal, just so that it is known I'm not pulling it outta my *ss.

Do you realize what you just did?

Think about it...she didn't ask about the physiological aspect of drinking lemon water...as you said...she asked how ti choke it down.

Why berate what others did and then turn around and do the same thing?