Support for Eating Disorders

Options
Hi everyone,
New to the community here and looking to make some friends and build a support system for myself and hopefully for others as well.

I have been living with an eating disorder (bulimia) for 13 years now (over half of my life) and I'm ready to stop.

Anyone else out there who wants their life back or would like to share their stories?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

A difficult challenge ahead for you, but one you can overcome with the right support.

I assume this isn't the only support you are seeking? You have seen your doctor and/or counsellor?
  • MalineVD
    MalineVD Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I've had an eating disorder for almost 5 years, so I know how hard it is.
    My breaking point was when I took an overdose of laxatives and the pain was so intense that I thought I was going to die.. That moment I realized it wouldn't make much of a difference, because I wasn't really living either.. For some reason, something clicked after that moment. I realized there is so much more in life that I wasn't experiencing and I wondered if this really was the way I wanted to spend the life I've been given.
    I make it sound easy now, but it most definitely wasn't. There were numerous times where I wanted to go back to my safe cocoon. But I kept in mind that I wanted a real life, a family, children.
    I've lost fertility, my body isn't able to pick up vitamins from food anymore, because my stomach is so destroyed, I have the bone density from a 5yr old..
    Just ask yourself: you have one life. How do you want to spend it? How do you want to come across in the real world? Like a small fragile unhappy little bird? Or as a strong, smart young woman who is taking every chance she's got to make the most of her life?

You can do this. The fact that you want to recover is actually the biggest one. And you already passed that. Everyday you're able to make new choices towards a new happier and healthier life.

It's okay to be scared. Hell, I was so damn scared to give up the only life I knew and where I felt safe.. But believe me, it was all worth it.

Good luck, lots of strength and love and a big old fashioned hug xx

Maline.
  • steviedream
    steviedream Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've suffered with eating disorders in the past, and was diagnosed bulimic many years ago. I'm recovering well, although its a slow process. I am feeling much healthier nowadays, you can do this ... I'm here if you need to talk. Add me if you want to, I do understand how rough bulimia is, but there is a way out to better things. I'm here to listen and understand. Hug x
  • CynJolene
    CynJolene Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey

It's a long hard road out of hell but we can do it. You can do it!

For about 6 years I've struggled with my eating disorder; binging, starving and purging. Now I'm onto my road to recovery...which is hard because I really miss it. I miss feeling "in control" and feeling "light", but that's bullsh*t because I was never in control or truly happy.

I spent days watching documentaries on food...hardly ever did I leave my room and when I did it was only to purge. That wasn't living and that wasn't a life.

Like I said, I miss it BUT at the same time I hate it and I want to be healthy. I'd rather lead a healthy life, enjoy my life and actually live instead of obsessing over my body. It's terrible and I'll be so happy to be able to say I'm recovered!

Basically: I know where you're coming from, I got your back, and I'm here to cheer you on!

• LydiaStobart
    LydiaStobart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does myfitnesspal helP? I was able to stop purging, just about (sometimes still do) does this App help with binges? I've heard it's good because you have to log all your foods?
  • hartcasey01
    hartcasey01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Can I just say that you are amazing! You all had the choice to stay where you were and live a life of hell but instead you chose to live.
    It will not be easy for you but you have made a choice, you found your selfworth now double tie that knot around yourself and hold onto it. You must reaffirm every day that you are an amazing creation and that you were born to win!
    I only have had experience with a partial eating disorder because of my bipolar and I have choosen to live without medication, so diet is of 150% importance, what I have learnt through this is that by cutting out the crap my body responded in ways I didn't think possible!
    Now Im on Isagenix maintenance and feel amazing.
    Start with small goals - can I suggest - get rid of SUGAR!! It was ruling my mind.
    God Bless! X
  • sunnycrash
    sunnycrash Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My heart goes out to each of you, bulimia is truly hell. I've struggled with it for the past five years or so but I can say I'm definitely recovering, it's a process but it's getting better all the time. For me now, purges are a months apart and even if I have moments of doubt and weakness, I know there's no going back.
    One of the things that helped me the most in this process of recovery, was talking to a pshycologist about my problems and realizing that there were other emotional issues I wasn't dealing with, that bulimia was in part a coping mecanism, a way of dealing with negative thought and feelings without actually confronting them. Bulimia is a form of self destruction, of self harm, that goes a lot deeper than just vanity.
    I've been slowly learning to love and accept myself, and that more than anything else is life changing. It can be really hard at times, but it's worth it.
    I really hope things get better for you soon, have faith in yourself, you can do this!!! If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you :) good luck and take good care of yourself, never forget you deserve to be happy
  • gocougs83
    gocougs83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I became "weight restored" four years ago after a 10-year battle with AN and BN. I still struggle every day, but I've found some peace in my life. I did some serious damage to my body - which I didn't appreciate when I was younger. Now that I'm in my early 30s, I can see the some of the consequences of my disease. Recovery is possible, and I've found that the #1 thing that help me get through it wasn't a meal plan or team of doctors, but compassion. Compassion for myself; forgiving myself for what I had put my body and my loved ones through. It was through compassion I was able to stop restricting and to stop purging. That's what I'm trying to hold on to today as I embark on a journey to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way (and I am TERRIFIED, for the record). Bulimia is a horrific disease. I wish you all the best as you work towards getting your life back. xo
  • MayEleventh
    MayEleventh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am recovering from a 6 year battle with eating disorders. I've been diagnosed with anorexia, EDNOS (now OSFED) and bulimia, with bulimia being the most current diagnosis. I'm feeling really confident about this recovery for once, and I'm excited. I do research on eating disorder prevention, so I know all the reasons to stop, and I think I'm finally listening to myself and science over my disorder. If anyone wants to chat, for support or any reason, feel free to send me a message!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi I've struggled with an eating disorder for the last 16 years. I've kept it hidden though....thought I beat it too for a few years and sure enough life gets hard and I don't handle it well and it all comes rolling back. One day I'm hoping to have the courage to tell my doctor.
  • oceansmoke
    oceansmoke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh thank you all so much for all of your thoughtful and encouraging responses. I'm overwhelmed right now with that amount of support from you guys! This is the most support I have ever gotten, truly.

I want to start off by apologizing for not responding sooner. I never got a notification or anything saying that my post had any activity so I assumed no one had responded.

Thank you all sooo much!!
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Can I just say that you are amazing! You all had the choice to stay where you were and live a life of hell but instead you chose to live.
    It will not be easy for you but you have made a choice, you found your selfworth now double tie that knot around yourself and hold onto it. You must reaffirm every day that you are an amazing creation and that you were born to win!
    I only have had experience with a partial eating disorder because of my bipolar and I have choosen to live without medication, so diet is of 150% importance, what I have learnt through this is that by cutting out the crap my body responded in ways I didn't think possible!
    Now Im on Isagenix maintenance and feel amazing.
    Start with small goals - can I suggest - get rid of SUGAR!! It was ruling my mind.
    God Bless! X

I have definitely done a 360 with my diet over the years of recovery and have cut out all sugar as well as eliminating processed foods. Great advice and thank you for sharing with the rest of the community becuase you're totally right! Eating clean and healthy is key to recovery.

I too struggle with bipolar disorder but often wonder it's it's merely another symptom of the hell that bulimia puts tbe body though. Both physically and mentally.

What is isagenix if you don't mind me asking?
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    Hi I've struggled with an eating disorder for the last 16 years. I've kept it hidden though....thought I beat it too for a few years and sure enough life gets hard and I don't handle it well and it all comes rolling back. One day I'm hoping to have the courage to tell my doctor.

One of my biggest fears is finally reaching recovery only for the nightmare to return. Keep believing in yourself and I wish you all of the best through your journey to having a better life. If you'd ever like to talk about it don't hesitate to message me. <3
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community and I hope that you get the support/help that you need both here and with a medical professional.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    stay healthy :)