Taking a break..... thoughts?

Options
For the last couple of weeks, I have really struggled. I still very much want to lose weight but I've noticed that all I think about lately is food and rather than being motivated and empowered, I feel restricted and almost lethargic about it. So, I've decided to have a 3 day break. I just feel as though I need a couple of days of not thinking about it, not worrying about what the scale says and not worrying about how much exercise I should have done. I almost need a completely fresh start which doesnt feel like a half hearted attempt (which I feel like I am doing now).

So my plan is that Monday is my new start day and before then, I am not going to thinking about it at all - I know I may end up putting on a couple of pounds but whatever my weight is on Monday morning, that will be my new start weight.

Does this sounds crazy? It's showing me that weight loss for me is 75% phsychological! Think I need to do this to get myself back on track. If I carry on the way I am, I'll end up binging for goodness knows how long. Planning a break in this way makes me feel more in control and still following the plan although taking a slight detour!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    During this 3 day period what are you going to do thats going to make Monday and the days to follow any different? I think if you take a break you should use that time to deal with why this is very overwhelming to you. You should try to come up with a plan to implement if you should ever feel like this again. You don't want it to become a reoccurring event.

Good luck to u
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Listen, sometimes everyone needs a break...the whole goal here is to really change the lifestyle. Now, if you are taking a break to go back to eating how you used to, then....well not so good. But if you are taking a break from logging and planning on eating in moderation and indulging a little bit, then hey...we all need that sometimes too.
  • Raebug123
    Raebug123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    A break maybe just what the doctor ordered!! However my advise is to find someway of making sure that you come back on Monday. From my own personal experience when these feelings hit a break is good but especially the first time it can be hard to get back in the grove of watching yourself. Hope your break is nice and relaxing and we will see you back on Monday! :happy:
  • 80lbslost
    80lbslost Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think a break is healthy even though I haven't taken one. My husband took one month off and now he started back up yesterday. If you think it will jumpstart you and give you more motivation then do it. Good luck!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Psychologically? Are there deeper issues related to food?

Otherwise, you are in control of your choices, including your mood.

Do you exercise regularly? For me, that's the best way to get the extra endorphins I need when I'm feeling lethargic.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I try to look at it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet and fitness plan....I've promised myself that nothing is off limits as long as I know I have to compensate. I've had quite an unhealthy relationship with food in the past, i.e. strict diet or stuffing my face, no inbetween so now I try and have a little of what I like so I feel normal. I think taking a few days off from logging and working out cals might be good but if you're gona use those 3 days to eat everything you're currently not allowing yourself to then you're treading on dangerous ground. Just try to relax your views on whats allowed and whats not and incorporate it into your lifestyle....thats what works for me anyway. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar, no working out this week. There's nothing wrong with taking a break as long as you keep the "lifestyle changes" MFP has taught you...so that you continue to exercise moderation and control (even if you aren't logging, caring about the total cals, etc). To me, that's key!
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have done that a couple of times since january. One time I put 2 pounds back on, and the other time no pounds... It was worth it to me because I can get burned out with nonstop calorie counting. The first time I reverted back to my old eating habits and felt awful (physicaly and emotionaly), the second time I did much better and it was a much needed break without feeling gross afterwards. Good luck!
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I typically log religiously through out the week... and the take the weekends off. Not so much from the dieting as a whole, but from the meticulous logging. Still try to be good to a point, but don't feel bad about being a little "bad" either. I found that this helped me stay on track throughout the week. I also found that even though I said that I was going to bad, I was actually still pretty on track for the most part even on the "cheat" days.
  • mjlebsa
    mjlebsa Posts: 5
    Options
    I’ve been a long time dieter & I’ve lost weight lots of times….several times over & I’ve had to reprogram my thought process about food. Finally, I figured it out & after two years I went from 225 to 177 and maintaining. After reading two good books & FINALLY learning it’s not dieting, but rather a good sound nutritional program that will last. In my opinion, if you’re feeling “…restricted and almost lethargic” you should take a good hard look at what you’re eating & if you’re eating enough. It sounds to me that you’re out of balance…meaning are you eating enough & correctly? I’ve learned, & finally figured out over the years that when I get to the obsessive point with food I needed to take a break from trying to maintain a calorie deficit and return to a calorie maintenance level. Returning to the maintenance level (of my new weight) took my body out of starvation mode. But, just remember, there’s nothing wrong with taking the break, if you’re still engaging in healthy eating.
    Good luck
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I absolutely think it is OK to take a break from logging and analyzing everything every once in awhile! Just make sure you do something for yourself (no t food related) this weekend. Pamper yourself a bit and get back up to full speed :)
  • MFP1984
    MFP1984 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I suppose everyone is different.

When I go on a break I tend to find it hard to get back afterwards. To me I suppose a break signals - 'stuff it (binge) food isn't going to control me' then I feel worse.

Instead I take the approach that 'this is a lifelong lifestyle change, yep its a little hard right now but can I make it easier for a few days, really wow myself with a good effort this week, or do something else to make me feel good (hairdressers, shopping)...'
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sure. Take a break. It is a healthy and practical thought. Restarting when motivation is higher will bring better results. The feeling of being restricted is not supportive. It is better to think about what we do in context of choice we are making.

Diet changes have a greater effect on weight loss than exercise.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're quitting...
    This isn't easy for anyone. And it won't be easier if you eat whatever you want for 3 days.
  • anikab
    anikab Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know for me, taking breaks means I'm being lazy. That may or may not be the case here, but just remember that weight loss and exercise isn't a 'diet', its a complete lifestyle change. Breaks are fine once in a while. I just took 3 days off because I was sick but I still ate correctly even though I wasn't exercising because that's what I've come to know. Just don't take so long of a break that you get lazy enough not to return. Logging food etc is 2nd nature to me so its not something I dread or even drag my feet to do, so I think after a certain amount of time you just automatically go through the motions. Everyone is different. We are all here for support.
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    I actually posted the same thing yesterday, but I was gonna quit for a couple of days because I wasn't seeing results fast enough. And I am back today, I couldn't bring myself to not log on. I just need to be accountable for things I eat, so I realize why I am eating each time. For you taking a break might help, but for me a day off leads to a week a month then 50 more pounds. I just have to remind myself that its not that big of a deal to relax a little. Good Luck, dont give up!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't think it sounds crazy. It sounds reasonable. It reminds me of a diet I was reading about yesterday called, No S. It's no seconds, snacks or sweets except on days that start with S sometimes. So it allows for break days. So on the weekend or special occasions (sometimes but not always), you can take a break. I think that if you manage to actually not snack, have sweets or eat seconds most of the time, this diet would work. I might even try it some day.

Good luck to you.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    breaks for me come every 21 days. thats my cheat day but I get right back on my diet the next day. If you wont make breaks a habit, I see no harm in them ;)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I also agree it sound like a cop out for quitting almost like the "maybe i was just meant to be this way" mentality it not easy to lose weight and you have to want it ..... I think 3 days off will turn in to 3 weeks or 3 months or maybe 3 years ..........
  • mchappelle45
    Options
    when I lost weight before I of course had a friend helping me, but we picked 1 day a week to eat what ever we wanted, that seemed to help me.. I'm doing it this time as well.. so far so good..... stay with it... it will get better.