Hi There!

Options
LdyJedi
LdyJedi Posts: 10 Member
Hi! I've been on MyFitnessPal for a few days now, thanks to the recommendation from a coworker/friend.

I have been instructed by my doctor that I *must* lose weight or risk more time in the hospital. I'm 5'4" and I was 186 lbs when I started (dropped 2 lbs so far). I am doing this to get my blood pressure under control and to help regulate my electrolytes. There is nothing like a couple ER trips and an overnight hospital stay to tell you that you have gotten WAY off course and need a correction ASAP!

Replies

• pchaston
    pchaston Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there, Im new too, I think we just need to set out mind to it and then we can do this
  • 120Cassy
    120Cassy Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Congratulations on the weight loss. I too have to get my BP under control and of course lose weight. I just started monitoring my sodium intake on MFP, I never thought it could be so difficult. I now have to change everything I was doing thus far, because all the foods I like have too much sodium in it; and its not even junk food. So I took the DASH diet shopping list and am using it as a guideline. Anyhoo's keep up the good work :-) It won't be easy but it's totally worth it in the end.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here is why you should listen to your Dr.
    I was the typical guy, never going to the dr in years. Needless to say I ended up having 2 strokes with the last time having a blood pressure of 260/140.
    Here is my story from a year ago. I am now at my goal and off a lot of meds, going from 282 pounds and 48 waist to 150 pounds and a 32 waist and am on day 854 now on mfp.
    Someone asked me if I felt better after losing all my weight, 114 pounds as of now.Here was my response.
    I know the weight loss is great and good for my overall health, but just kind of sad thinking I would feel better after I lost so much weight. I have damage to my left side and always a tingling cold feeling especially in my hand and legs due to nerve damage, My balance is shaky especially when i look up or to the sides.
    And even though, the medications I am on have come down, I am still very tired all the time. That being said, I know it is a positive thing losing weight and am thankful for the things I can do as my therapists I had after the stroke, told me a lot of people that had the type of stroke I had, do not survive, and those that do, many end up in a wheel chair. Right after the stroke, I was in a wheel chair and progressed to a walker, then a cane, and finally nothing. I look at this diet like I did with my progression after the stroke. First to get out of the morbidly obese zone. the next step was to get out of the obese zone, then to get to the over weight zone and now i am about 8 pounds from getting into the healthy zone.
    But like i tell everyone here, do not concentrate on how far you have to go. Look at what you have accomplished. So do I feel like I wished I felt at this point, not really, but I am thankful for what may have been if I never recovered from the stroke and if I did not lose all this weight. I was told when you have a stroke, you are more likely to have another, so I knew being that heavy was something I could control, and did not want to go thru being in intensive care again for 2 weeks, or being in the hospital for 5 weeks. So if this inspires one person to do things that I did not, like watch your weight and watch your blood pressure, I feel this is helpful. I was the typical guy that ate bad, never went to the Dr's and figured, nothing would happen to me. Well it did and without warning. I went to lunch with a coworker, went to Target with her to get xmas decorations for our office, and just lost my balance and fell. I remember thinking that was weird. I got up, walked a little and fell again. I remember that is when they called an ambulance and a stranger sitting with me while my friend called for help. I was in no pain and did not know what was happening. I remember the paramedics getting there and nothing more for the next week until I had woke up, and remembering being upset not being able to do the tasks the therapists had me do that I knew a 3rd grader could do. And worst was having family not knowing if I would even survive. Pretty scary stuff.
    I often think how my life would have been if I still lived in New Jersey where we grew up. What would my career have been? Would I have been married and had kids? It certainly would be different than it is now. That can be said for all of us. The choices you make determine your future. When you move, what college you pick, friends that you make or leave, will all change your future, and you will never know what would have happened if you made a different choice. I had the same decision when starting this, do nothing or do something. I knew the path I was taking, was not going to do me any good, and for that matter, I may not even been here writing this now. Or make the decision I should have done years ago, go down the positive path for me, to make the right decision. I hope this inspires or motivates just 1 person.So please, next time you are tempted by something, make the right decision, for your family, your friends and most of all YOURSELF!!! take care, p.s. - sorry so long...
  • LdyJedi
    LdyJedi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that, Mart0001. Glad you're still around! Scary stuff.