Recovery after workout?

Options
kak22283
kak22283 Posts: 31 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I was wondering what the best recovery drinks and snacks are for a post bootcamp style workout? I read that a 4:1 carb to protein recover is good, but is that for cardio only? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• kak22283
    Options
    Bump
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    chocolate milk is good...and I often do a big 800 calorie bomb smoothie after a really long ride...

That said, your overall nutrition is going to be a bigger player in recovery than making sure you have some special drink right after a workout. The only time I really worry about it is after a long ride and I've basically been pedaling for 2-4 hours or more.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I like a handful of almonds
  • kak22283
    Options
    I keep hearing chocolate milk! I need to try it! Oh and maybe a handful of almonds too :)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    chocolate milk is good...and I often do a big 800 calorie bomb smoothie after a really long ride...

That said, your overall nutrition is going to be a bigger player in recovery than making sure you have some special drink right after a workout. The only time I really worry about it is after a long ride and I've basically been pedaling for 2-4 hours or more.

^This. Unless you are training multiple times a day with a few hours between bouts, or doing an extreme bout of training, overall nutrition throughout the day is more important for recovery vs nutrient timing directly after training.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    choco milk is the "cheap man's recovery drink" which is right up my alley :D i only drink it after an intense muay thai session.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 4:1 carb to protein ratio, with as little fat as possible.

The point is to quickly replenish your glycocen, by using sugar to create an insulin reponse, so that you can quickly restore your blood sugar levels.
    The quicker the response, the less damage will be done to your muscle tissue.
    Too much protein or fat slows and even diminishes the sugar's effect.

Slow digesting food won't work quickly enough during or after exercise.

So I would really recommend lightly digestable drinks/snacks, with this 4:1 ratio, taken within the first hour after you finished your exercise.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As for 'cardio only', I'd say this mostly applies to any very intense workout,
    since your body then quickly burns its limited stores of blood glycogen for energy.

After the glycogen is gone, your body will run out of energy and continuing to exercise will damage your muscle tissue.

So said, if your intense workout takes longer than an hour, It'd be more beneficial to have a drink like that DURING workout.
    If it lasts for under an hour, you'll be fine having it right after you're finished.
    If your exercise isn't all that intense, your body will probably not even get through it's glycogen storage, and then you don't really need an additional post-workout replenishment, rather just a normal meal.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 4:1 carb to protein ratio, with as little fat as possible.

The point is to quickly replenish your glycocen, by using sugar to create an insulin reponse, so that you can quickly restore your blood sugar levels.
    The quicker the response, the less damage will be done to your muscle tissue.
    Too much protein or fat slows and even diminishes the sugar's effect.

Slow digesting food won't work quickly enough during or after exercise.

So I would really recommend lightly digestable drinks/snacks, with this 4:1 ratio, taken within the first hour after you finished your exercise.

Glycogen stores will be replenished over the course of feeding, not immediately after a workout. Spiking insulin and nutrient timing has been debunked. Just another broscience myth...
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I take a cold shower and lay down for 30 minutes
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ....That said, your overall nutrition is going to be a bigger player in recovery than making sure you have some special drink right after a workout....

That.

That being said I do drink Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator after most hard workouts. It is all natural and has the 4:1 ratio. But I mostly take it for the electrolytes and to easily down another 16oz of water (I like the taste). But you really need to focus on overall nutrition foremost.
  • kak22283
    Options
    Awesome information! Thank you everybody!