temptation to weigh yourself

Options
any ideas on how to stop jumping on the scales everyday. i dont think i can wait a week each time x

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Then don't wait a week. Just learn to understand what are normal daily/monthly fluctuations and watch the trend over time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Then don't wait a week. Just learn to understand what are normal daily/monthly fluctuations and watch the trend over time.

this, I weigh most days and just don't let myself get upset over fluctuations

• doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Sometimes I'll even jump on it again during the day if I happen to be passing. I see no harm in it. Sometimes it goes up, mostly it goes down.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day.

Yes, I know that's not recommended, but the main reason I do is because doing that has revealed patterns, and I know not to worry if I stay the same weight for a few days, or even go up half a kilo, because that's all a part of the pattern.

I weigh myself in the same place every day, and always first thing in the morning after using the toilet.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

This absolutely. Weigh as often as you like its just data. Understand fluctuations and trend. Theres nothing wrong with jumping on the scales, its how you deal with what they say.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Yep. I try to just weigh on Sundays and Wednesdays, this morning I was ready to jump on the scale, but just resisted the urge. I have a friend that feel the need to weigh every day, they need to see what the scale says, and at least understands things are going to go up and down depending on so many different factors.
    If it drives you nutters not to see it, then get on the scale.
  • alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and have a little tracker app that shows me my trend in weight loss. It shows even if I gain a pound in two days, I am still losing weight over all. That has helped me a lot because it keeps me on schedule.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    any ideas on how to stop jumping on the scales everyday. i dont think i can wait a week each time x

You don't have to wait a week. I weigh everyday, but I watch the trend using trendweight.com. There are also phone apps that will give you your trend data as well.
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but only officially "record" it for here on Fridays. But I do have urges to weigh a couple of times a day that I have to fight off so I don't get compulsive about it now that I am losing steadily. I've def learned not to get too grumpy over fluctuations.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    alyci wrote: »
    I weigh myself every morning and have a little tracker app that shows me my trend in weight loss. It shows even if I gain a pound in two days, I am still losing weight over all. That has helped me a lot because it keeps me on schedule.

Yes, me too--every morning right after I wake up and use the restroom. I use the tracker app Libra (free), which shows your trend line to help avoid worrying over normal fluctuations. I learned about it on the community boards here and love it!
  • K_saine
    K_saine Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every other day.
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Just try to weigh yourself at the same time of day every time; and while this might sound a little disgusting, be sure to do it after you go to the bathroom. After all, that'll be extra weight that you've lost you're no longer carrying around. ;)
  • mariafarrell09
    mariafarrell09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    so im not the only one that weighs myself everyday. i dont like doing it but i dont stop thinking about it until i do it.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I used to swear up and down against weighing daily but the fluctuations are more confusing on a weekly basis. I weigh every day now and use a trending number for my actual weight. If I compare my actual weigh in number from week to week, they are sometimes the same or the more recent one is higher! But, overall, my weight is dropping. I found the weekly weigh in's frustrating. I would either weigh daily and track it with a graph (there is nothing quite so motivating as seeing that line drop) or weigh less often, like monthly. For Android users, the Libra app is very popular and easy to use. I track on a spreadsheet but the app gives me instant feedback while I'm naked and in the bathroom after weighing :smiley:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and don't get discouraged just because I fluctuated. If you really want to test that weight can fluctuate and make yourself feel better about the little gains try weighing yourself in the morning then at night.

I use the daily weigh in for me as a marker to check the downward trend and to keep me on track.

That being said it is not the only thing I use to track how I am doing, it is one tool that helps me personally.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I love getting on the scale every day. It's my motivation. I bought a WiFi scale that automatically transmits my weight and body fat and heart rate to my web site and MFP for auto-logging. It's great. I like data and my charts have fine granularity. I like it.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday during weightloss and even now in maintenance. It helps me know the general trend and if my caloric tracking is off or not.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    When it's felt destructive emotionally to have a scale at home in the past, I just got rid of it. I would weigh in Saturday mornings at the gym instead. If you let your state of mind depend on whatever number pops up on the scale, it's probably an issue. I bought a home scale a couple weeks ago and weigh in each morning and sometimes in the evening just to see the normal fluctuations.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every first Friday of each month. I have had my husband hide them from me because in all honesty, stepping on the daily can make or break my mood even if I know its just a number. With that said, my measuring tape is always in the bathroom for easy access when ever I feel like measuring myself.
  • JeannieCarlson
    JeannieCarlson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am used to weighing often. And I play the scale game. Too many times have I lost a couple of pounds and then eased up on my diet and even rewarded myself for doing such a good job. So now, this time I am breaking the habit. Not a bad habit for some but for me! Whoa. I'm planning on weighing on June 19th which is 8 weeks into myfitnesspal plan and it is also my daughter's birthday. Her 50th! I'm just trying to change the game playing with the scale.