Fitbit and exercise calories?

Options
as of 10 am mfp in sync with Fitbit charge hr
Has givin me an extra 500 calories. I have been pretty active and did workout this morning (power walking). Can I really eat all those extra calories and lose? I have 30 to lose and have my setting set at 2 lbs per day. What does everyone else do? Eat all, portion of etc.
Just seems too good to be true!!

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Make sure to enter your exercise time so your calories burned are not doubled. It works different for everyone; but when I was trying to lose weight, I didn't eat my calories back. Once I went to maintenance, I had to eat them back or I'd continue to lose.
    Good luck!
  • portugaline
    portugaline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Has givin me an extra 500 calories. I have been pretty active and did workout this morning (power walking). Can I really eat all those extra calories and lose? I have 30 to lose and have my setting set at 2 lbs per day. What does everyone else do? Eat all, portion of etc.

I also use a fitbit surge because it have a heart hate monitor so is more accurate.

Even when i try to lose weight i always put back that extra calories, in fact many times i do cardio just to allow my self to eat more even when losing weight. I'm addicted to food, so i always try to lose weight eating the much i can and feel happy :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Don't eat all of them. Your adjustment will change as the day goes on depending on how much additional movement you'll do--when I come home from a morning at work I can have an adjustment of 600 calories, but by evening if I don't do anything it drops to 250-300.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I got a charge HR a week ago. I'm loving it so far.

The calorie adjustment you see is an estimate of how many calories you will burn for the whole day, based on how many you've burned so far. If you are more active in the morning and less in the afternoon, it will go down some by bedtime.

Make sure that workouts are logged as workouts. If you don't log your walks, it will think that is just your normal activity and assume you're going to be doing that all day...hence the larger calorie adjustment.

You can always eat at least the number of calories burned for the workout. But if you are like me and your overall goal is to lose weight, then of course even if it says you can eat a thousand more calories you should only eat if you are actually hungry. Every night that I go to bed with a thousand calories left uneaten I feel like a little victory.
  • loridebacker
    loridebacker Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So if it can change later in the day and go lower how do you plan your calories for the day just based on the 1200 that you get?
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity level in MFP to Sedentary, then it will start at the lowest number and won't go down unless you literally just sit on the couch all day.

If you find yourself a little negative after dinner, go for a walk. If you find yourself a LOT negative after dinner, there might be no way to fix it and you just need to learn from it and realize that lasagna and pizza are no longer things that are edible. :(
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Has givin me an extra 500 calories. I have been pretty active and did workout this morning (power walking). Can I really eat all those extra calories and lose?

I have 30 to lose and have my setting set at 2 lbs per day. What does everyone else do? Eat all, portion of etc.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. 2 lbs. per week is way too aggressive at your size. Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. In another 10 lbs., switch to .5 lb. per week. The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.