Can't seem to gain weight

Options
I'm an 18 year old male and I have been underweight my whole life. I'm 6'0" and weight 140 on a good day. I try and eat more but I just don't have the appetite for it. I never work out, but I am very active at work. I need some tips and some motivation to help make the much needed change. Any input is appreciated

Replies

• scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you've got to increase your caloric intake. If you're not hungry, try drinking your calories. Make a smoothie.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Track your TDEE. As an year18 year old (assuming male), you need to eat 2330 calories to just maintain weight. And you say you are active. I'd shoot for 3000 calories a day, and there are a couple of ways to make things easier. I suggest any combination of:

-Liquid meals. Easy to put lots of calories in a single shake. I.e. 2 cups of whole fat milk, 2 shots of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of peanut or almond butter, and 1 scoop of chocolate protein. That is 760 calories in 1 drink. Olive oil and peanut butter are easy calories with healthy fats in them. Whole milk is great for a young skinny person who works out. Protein is optional, but chocolate goes well with milk and peanut butter.

-Olive oil. As per above, I put it in shakes for quick calories (120~140 calories per tablespoon!). You can put it on anything, even take shots of it when you are not hungry but need to add more calories.

Obviously you need to be exercising and weight training so that it does not all become fat. The right mindset to have is you are at an ideal age for muscle and body development, and eating right is FUELING yourself to grow healthier. So for the next 6 months, forget having a six-pack and grow. If you feel you are gaining too much fat, lower it to 2800 calories. Build yourself to a good 180lbs with muscle and ~15% body fat, then cut after if you want to show off some abs.

Source: Ex-skinny guy
  • pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Lift weights to gain muscle (muscle is heavier than fat).
    If you go on the muscle gaining route eat foods that are high in protein.

Other ways to gain weight is to find food that are very high in calories, but do not fill you up much. It isn't necessarily healthy, but chips (and optional dip) would work great. If you like veggies add a dip to them, so you aren't just eating very little calories.

If you drink milk, go to two per cent rather than skim or one per cent.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    pichu318 wrote: »

Other ways to gain weight is to find food that are very high in calories, but do not fill you up much. It isn't necessarily healthy, but chips (and optional dip) would work great. If you like veggies add a dip to them, so you aren't just eating very little calories.

you can eat high calorie foods and as long as you hit micros/macros it is healthy
    muscle does not weight more than fat, it is more dense.

why not just drink whole milk?

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    pichu318 wrote: »

What?
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It's about the calories. Figure out how many you're eating now -- it's probably less than you think.

If you have trouble with an appetite it might help you to spread your meals out a little bit. I have trouble sometimes putting away 1200 calories in on sitting but I can do a 600 calories lunch and a 600 calorie snack an hour later no problem.

And drinking your calories - not enough can be said about this. You can do whole milk, full fat cottage cheese, full fat peanut butter, a sweetener, and a banana (and some cookies) in a blender and put away 700+ calories in about 10 minutes. And you'll be hungry a half hour later.

All the foods that people eat because they have a high "satiety" component -- you'll want to watch out for those. I'm not saying just eat garbage, but definitely incorporate some stuff that will leave you hungry afterwards. White rice, white bread, all that. Don't be afraid to eat ice cream or straight up milk shakes.

Of course, if you do all of that without strength training you'll see almost all fat gains so... just look out for that.

And eat more PB&J sandwiches.
  • PatrickWegner
    PatrickWegner Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im 6'4" tall and started out at 174. I take in 3580 to 5700 calories per day. 108 days later, 3 days a week heavy lifting I weigh exactly 200lbs. My first time ever in the 200 club. Im also super active at work with all the lifting and walking, 9-15 volleyball games on Thursday, Line Dancing on Wednesday and Friday nights not to mention kayak fishing on the weekends. My high calorie go to food has been little caesars pepperoni pizza. 2240 calories for one pizza. Your body needs more fuel. I was in the same boat. Ignoring the hungry by working thru it. Chobani yogurt(180 calories), orange(70cal), hot pocket(320cal), 24 oz chocolate milk(650). Theres a 1000 plus calories right there. Do you think you could discipline yourself to eat that between 7am-10am? Half little caesars for lunch (1120calories) between 11am-1pm other half between 2pm-5pm (1120) you've gotten 3400+ calories before dinner. Dinner can add another 1000 calories putting you between 4400 to 5700 per day. Just eat, your body will start to crave more of this habit. If I can do it you can do it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,628 Member
    Options
    I thought I had the same problem. Then I added "junk" food to my diet and gained weight just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kgmg700
    kgmg700 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Im hoping that this app will help me get to my goal weight cause im so tired of being thin.
  • Flotrainermike
    Flotrainermike Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As the wise Mr. Wendler says, drink a gallon of whole milk everyday, lift heavy, and you'll gain weight.
  • omar586
    omar586 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As the wise Mr. Wendler says, drink a gallon of whole milk everyday, lift heavy, and you'll gain weight.

i hope you're joking about the milk.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    omar586 wrote: »

No joke. It's talked about a lot on these forums. GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    scottf4413 wrote: »
    omar586 wrote: »

No joke. It's talked about a lot on these forums. GOMAD - Gallon Of Milk A Day.

Jesus! That much dairy must really block up the bowels!
    Not to mention how expensive that diet is now that the price of milk has skyrocketed. It's definitely a way to get a lot of calories in (especially since they are in liquid form). But, there are many other ways to gain weight eating a variety of foods.

Just going to throw this here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    GOMAD does produce results but it's not magical. Just eat a surplus and get all your nutrients plus enough fat and protein and your good to go.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    zfisher123 wrote: »
    I try and eat more but I just don't have the appetite for it. I never work out, but I am very active at work.

Pick up the weight. And then put it down. And just keep doing this...and the hunger will come...your muscles will grow...and you will gain muscle mass...which I assume is the type of weight that you want gain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ice cream, peanut butter, avocado, cheese, bread, rice, high calorie protein bars all can help.