Lets be honest here...

Options
Ok, so the past 2 or 3 weeks havent been very good. Everything is breaking or needs to be fixed for some reason in my house and its all expenisve stuff...

I want to eat everything in sight. I havent been eating super healthy, but I havent been going over my calories so bad either. It is sodium thats killing me, I just know it.

I changed my wlg to .5lbs a week instead of 1 lb hopeing that that will bring up my metabolism a little becase, lets face it, 1340cals per day is unrealistic- and who has time to exercise every single day??

I know Ive done so awesome so far. I know-- I just feel backsliding. I refuse to log the 3 extra pounds I saw on my scale this morning because I belive that it is dreaded sodium from pizza and s*^% Ive had this week.

Im having a downer day- Im way angry that Its going to rain tomorrow and I have 150$ worth of food and steaks in my fridge for my friends to come help me paint my house-- Cant paint in the rain!!!!!

Certian stuff is still so hard to refuse to eat. I gorged on 1000 calories worth of scone this morning because it tasted so damn good and I couldnt help myself! I never do that!! Seriously... I dont (except for today and I think its partly why im annoyed with myself).

I also feel like I will need to count calories FOREVER to maintain a healthy weight... or the weight I want to be. That sounds like its going to suck! I find myself now trying to cheat (not logging something I ate) but I cant do it because I feel guilty and know that Im only cheating myself. Blah blah blah blah! Its a long journy. I sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago and I Im annoyed that I cant get out and jog- that was something that really helped me feel good about myself.

I started November 2010 and to today (if you count my gain) I have lost 37 lbs. Im a cronic weigher. I weigh like 2-3 times a week.

Im thinking about hiding the scale for like say 3 weeks?? Anyone done this? What has your experience been?

sorry about my pitty party... :(

Nikki

Replies

• kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    sorry u are havin a rough time.. keep your head up. things have a way of working themselves out
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    everyone gets down sometimes BUT you have lost 40 lbs which is AWESOME so i know you have it in you to pick yourself up and get back on the healthy lifestyle train. Is eating a scone going to repair the broken stuff in your house? do you REALLY need to eat ALL of it? Remember what motivated you when you started this journey! Think of how much energy and how great you feel when you eat healthy and exercise!

You can do it!!!
  • mrscruff
    mrscruff Posts: 1
    Options
    Try not to worry about the scone... you seem to be doing great and frankly I totally want to be you! (I want to lose 40 pounds!!) Sorry I don't have much concrete advice, but please try not to worry about yesterday or slip-ups, and just keep looking forward. :happy:
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    1340cals per day is unrealistic- and who has time to exercise every single day??

I also feel like I will need to count calories FOREVER to maintain a healthy weight... or the weight I want to be. That sounds like its going to suck!

Stop self sabotaging and making excuses. 1340 isn't unrealistic. I exercise every single day and I have 5 kids and a husband. What is so bad about counting calories and having that information so you can make informed choices? I weigh 128.8 lbs now and my maintenance calorie goal is 1810 plus additional exercise calories... which pushes me upwards of 2300 calories a day. Trust me- it rules- it doesn't suck. BUT- I had to put forth the work to lose the weight which meant eating at a caloric deficit... 1200 calories, then 1360 calories, then 1425 calories, then 1630 calories, and now 1810 calories and I have ALWAYS ate my exercise calories.

Stop making excuses for yourself or reap what you're sowing... if you want to reach your goals then it isn't going to come for free!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I've been having a rough time too, and my start & goal weights are pretty similar to yours, so I'll send you a friend invite too. My demon is stress-eating & eating on the run without planning when life gets chaotic.

The best advice I've received is to just keep going, and talk about what you're struggling with. Let your friends lift you up and help you.

Two cliches get stuck in my head in times like this too:

1. When you're going through hell, just keep going. Eventually you'll get out.

2. Formula for weight loss. Eat less. Move more. Love yourself. Keep going.

I truly don't believe you have to do all 4 steps EVERY. single. day. But when you're struggling, pick one thing, focus on that, and take things one day at a time.
  • aworkman83
    aworkman83 Posts: 4
    Options
    I admire your honesty! You admitted not only to yourself but to the world that you slipped up. It happens to the best of us. If at 1st you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again...:)
  • lesliefoste
    lesliefoste Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Aw, I'm sorry about your sucky day. It's good that you can realize some of the things that are probably causing it (disappointment about the rain, not being able to job, 3 pounds up onthe scale).

I'm a strong believer in the once-a-week weigh in. The experts say it's the most accurate way to weigh yourself. Personally, not weighing myself almost always results in weight gain, so I wouldn't recommend it, though I've heard that it's helpful for some people. I would suggest doing the once a week thing, and if that's not helping, maybe a short scale hiatus?

Can you do some other sort of exercise until your ankle's back to normal? Swimming or maybe even bicycling? I bet you'd feel a lot better about life in general if you could find some way to move.

Fourty pounds is an AMAZING accomplishment! Don't give up because of a bad day. This, too, shall pass. Hang in there.
  • HawkeyeMatt
    HawkeyeMatt Posts: 12
    Options
    My belief is that everything in moderation is the key to losing weight. I can't personally subscribe to people telling me I can only eat healthy food to lose and maintain weight. Does it help, absolutely. However, we are human and sometimes we crave stuff that isn't exactly good for us. It's learning to eat those things in moderation, or at worst allowing yourself a day to eat what you want. I know that one of the hottest selling workout/diet plans, Body for Life, advocates that.
    Don't beat yourself up for poor choices and don't feel you have to stick to eating healthy 24/7. In my opinion, anyone who never eats anything bad now and then is a little strange anyway. To use an old cliche, if you fall of that horse, just get back up on it. Sometimes life takes you in directions you don't want to go and our eating and exercise habits suffer. If you continue to keep trying, you are doing okay.
  • blkelley
    blkelley Posts: 7
    Options
    You have done awesome so far! Hide your freakin scale!! OR- weight once a week! I, like you, want to weigh as often as possible because I get pumped when I see the results I want. However, when I don't see the results I want I get terribly depressed and make BAD choices. Keep up the good work, because you are worth it. Remember what you did to get to this point :)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I recently went through the same thing. I gave up my scale for Lent and ended up gaining 6lbs. because I didn't have to look at the numbers that were a result of my poor food choices.

Last week I had another sodium gain, and I said to hell with it. I logged it, and re-committed to eating clean and working hard and not 'snacking' without logging. That was Sunday. Today I am down 3.5 lbs.

Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves that we can push a little harder, despite all the crap that is going on in our lives. It's going to be a constant battle for me, because I am an excuse-maker. So, we have to be hard on ourselves. Do or do not. There is no try.
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Options
    Get back on the horse and ride. Life happens and we all fall down sometimes. Pick yourself up, reschedule the house painting for another weekend, grab a package of biscotti (fewer calories per piece, but the same yummy taste and texture as a scone), reassure yourself that 1000 calories does not make a pound, and drink lots to flush the sodium. I hope you bounce back soon and start to feel better!
  • usaeagge
    usaeagge Posts: 4
    Options
    I actually weigh in every morning at the same time. I realise that it won't change much and will occasionally rise due to a multitude of factors. Don't let the numbers get to you. It is about how you feel and how much better healthy eating makes your life. The weight loss will come in time. Remember, it took us a long time to gain the weight we carry and losing it cannot be expected to happen in one short burst. T^He most sustained weight losses happen over a lng gradual time, because this isn't a diet, it is a committment to changing the way we live and eat for the rest of our lives. Don't let one bad week or month get you down, it is the long term trend that matters.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can I join the pity party? I THOUGHT I'd eaten well this week and I'm up a lb today. I've been gaining and losing the same damn pound for over 3 months now. grrrrrr.

It sounds to me like you're an emotional eater. When things start stressing you out you go for the "good" stuff (which is really bad stuff that tastes really good. lol) So am I. I feel like chucking the stupid scale out the window and I have in the past.. (not literally, but I did get rid of a few) but what I found for ME is that when I chuck the scale, I also chuck my accountability. I hate the scale, neither of us talk to each other, but I need it to stay honest.

I've heard that you should only weigh in once a week at the same time. I step on the scale during the week but never take any of the numbers seriously until my actual weigh in day.

Concentrate on what you've lost so far. Remember that you had to lose it a lb at a time. I'd keep the scale but maybe hide it so that you only use it once a week. Its only a number.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel, and I've been there many times before. You have to fight your way through this and keep on going. The exercise, counting calories, etc. is for life ~ but I'm pretty sure you don't want to go back to what it was like 32 pounds ago. We all have set backs, and sometimes the scale goes up a little bit, but if you keep at it, it WILL go back down. Keep your eye on the prize and don't give up. You CAN do this! :)
  • mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    Options
    I purposely do not have a working scale in my house for this reason. I weigh myself once a week when I go to see my dad, and that is it. If a sneak a a brownie (or ten) I'm not running to the scale the next day to see the damage. I have a really hard time with the same kind of things. I get into these moods and think I just need one piece of whatever it is, it will make me feel better and I want it. But then I end up eating a whole container and feeling guilty about it an hour later. It's just a day at a time thing, just like with anything else. I f you can make it just through one day staying at your calorie intake, that's great! Then it's on to the next day. And the next. A step at a time. If you slip up every once in a while, it's ok! YOu just have to keep working and keep pushing. We all have those rough spells, but we pull through. It soumds like oyu were doing great, you just have to focus back on it again.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    First off, down days are allowed. I did not log in my last weight because it was a gain - I'm a diabetic and was having swelling in my feet, so I know the weight was the edema. If you know your sodium was high and you were retaining, don't count it, just chalk it up to lesson learned.

I'm starting to become a chronic weigher. I started out once a week, Sunday. But then I started on Wednesday as well to get my "Sneak Peek". However, now I want to weigh after my days off (less water retention due to less muscle stress) or after my cheat meal last night (even though it was just one meal and I barely went over my calories). I weigh in naked, as soon as I wake up, but after I go potty. PULL YOUR PANTS UP AS SOON AS YOU STAND UP! I hate getting dressed and undressed to weigh in so as soon as I stand up from my morning potty, I pull my pants up so I'm not tempted to step out of them and go to the scale. (It sounds weird, but it works for me).

And hello, 37 pounds? GLORIOUS! And congratulations. I increased my calorie intake too because I seem to be reaching a plateau and I think it's because I need more food. Healthy food. I enjoy logging my food. It keeps me accountable. I'm not disgusted with it, though I do feel like I'll be counting for the rest of my life - I'm okay with that. Being healthy takes work. Being fat is easy. I'd rather work - but it's on my phone so how hard can it be? YAY technology, LoL.

Chin-up, lady friend. We're in this together :-D
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about hiding the scale for like say 3 weeks?? Anyone done this? What has your experience been?

I gave up my scale and measuring tape for Lent... 40 days of not knowing. And I stuck to it! It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Even now, I only weigh myself once a month or so. My weight fluctuates way too much to do it every day/week and I get really frustrated. If you think it will help take some of the stress off, give it a shot. :) Keep your chin up, congrats on your weight loss too! :)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Nice list! I'm sorry you are feeling down, but you gotta get up and keep moving forward. You have already done VERY well, remember you are in this for the long haul. You are still young and healthy and smart enough to have made the choice to come here, and to KEEP coming here. You already know what you need to do, it sounds like a matter of want to. One last thing:
    GunnyErmey1.jpg
    Find something to smile about!!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thankyou everyone! Lets be honest here... Im not going to give up because that would be silly after coming this far. Thankyou for motivating me and taking the edge off of this day (maybe week) that has just been killing me... Seriously.. Thankyou