Depressed with very low-self esteem because of weight gain.

I have bipolar disorder and I noticed when I am extremely happy and energetic I start to get motivated and am able to lose weight. I went from 163lbs down to 121 lbs. When I become depressed with no energy my weight starts to go up. I am now at 139 lbs. It's really making me even more depressed because I haven't had any motivation to eat right and exercise effectively for the past 6 months which caused me to gain weight. My eating habits are uncontrollable. My metabolism got a lot slower as well. It's really hard how I can't maintain my weight because of my mood changes. I did go up to 141 lbs and only lost 2 lbs so far for the past 5 days. I'm getting really impatient about it. I started using mfp again and exercising twice a day to make myself lose weight again. It's really frustrating. I used to wear small shirts now I have to buy mediums. It really made a difference. What can I do, how can I be able to maintain 121 lbs and get back to that weight again...

Replies

• Jenkorp72
    Jenkorp72 Posts: 103 Member
    If you haven't already, see a doctor who specialized in depression. He/she can help you get right in your head so you can get right in your body. If that doctor doesn't help keep looking until you find one that does. Then maybe you'll be able to take the weight loss journey. Trying to change too much at once isn't healthy. Fix your mind, fix your body. ❤️ feel free to add me if you need someone to vent to. I'm a great listener!
  • eviejoy
    eviejoy Posts: 6 Member
    Hello, Jainafaith. I feel your pain. Please, please, be kind to yourself. I think the weight is keep coming back because you are not being nice to you. I understand feeling low because you lost 2 pounds in 5 days, but really think about it, that was 2 pounds lost. I believe if you feel good about that 2 pounds (which is alot, try walking around with a 2 pound bag of sugar all day) anyway, try loving yourself more and continue to write when you are feeling like you are not doing enough. I think you've done alot, because you are definitely the best you there is. You are unique, take one day at a time. Days go by so fast, take this year and be kind to you. I will keep in touch. God bless you and throw away those thoughts that are keeping you bound because you are doing what you suppose to right now. Don't second guess yourself.
  • jainafaith
    jainafaith Posts: 45 Member
    Jenkorp72 wrote: »
    If you haven't already, see a doctor who specialized in depression. He/she can help you get right in your head so you can get right in your body. If that doctor doesn't help keep looking until you find one that does. Then maybe you'll be able to take the weight loss journey. Trying to change too much at once isn't healthy. Fix your mind, fix your body. ❤️ feel free to add me if you need someone to vent to. I'm a great listener!

I am making an appointment with my doctor this monday. I really hope once my depression goes away my motivation will come back. Thank you so much.
  • jainafaith
    jainafaith Posts: 45 Member
    eviejoy wrote: »
    Hello, Jainafaith. I feel your pain. Please, please, be kind to yourself. I think the weight is keep coming back because you are not being nice to you. I understand feeling low because you lost 2 pounds in 5 days, but really think about it, that was 2 pounds lost. I believe if you feel good about that 2 pounds (which is alot, try walking around with a 2 pound bag of sugar all day) anyway, try loving yourself more and continue to write when you are feeling like you are not doing enough. I think you've done alot, because you are definitely the best you there is. You are unique, take one day at a time. Days go by so fast, take this year and be kind to you. I will keep in touch. God bless you and throw away those thoughts that are keeping you bound because you are doing what you suppose to right now. Don't second guess yourself.

I did notice that I am very hard on myself. I always put myself down and tend to compare myself to others. It's really frustrating. I feel like I am hating myself because I fell off track. I keep telling myself that I'm a failure. But you are right, 2 lbs does sound like a pretty good accomplishment. Thank you so much.
  • Sparks_wife2013
    Sparks_wife2013 Posts: 26 Member
    I have the exact issue as well I thought I was just depressed went to the doctor for on shine depression medicine started crying about myself went from 196 to 149 the healthy way thought I didn't need it anymore I felt fine crashed, for released again gained all weight gain life crashed saw doctor for on pi polar medicine with me depression medicine with the realization I just can't stop and now the healthy party is me is coming back.
  • lilidelafield
    lilidelafield Posts: 14 Member
    Hi there Jainafaith. I think you will do great. If you find a way to help get your sickness under control, that will help do wonders. I do not have bipolar, but I have been on medication twice now for severe depression, and I remember how deep and dark the hole was that I seemed to be stuck in. I Now have 126 pounds of excess weight to lose. Take one day at a time, and don't worry about the rest. Take every single achievement as a Great Victory and tell us all about it! Whether we lose 2 pounds or 2 grams it doesn't really matter, so long as we do our best what more can any of us ask of ourselves? Don't give in. : )