Junk Food questions.

Options
I guess this goes without saying, junk food is not good to eat while on a diet.
But for practical reasons, i gotta ask why. From your experience if you eat junk food but stay within your calorie goals, do you still lose weight? Or does junk food count seriously against you regardless of how well you measure it?

Replies

• KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depends on what you define as junk, ultimately, and what context it holds within your diet.

ETA: of course if you're under your calorie goal, whatever your diet is composed of, you'll lose weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You will still lose weight.

If you fail to meet your nutrient goals (which can happen if you fill up on calories that lack macro/micro nutrients that you need), you may see health/energy impacts.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem with junk food....for me its a self control thing....junk food leaves me unsatisfied and thus generally leads me to overeat. So I try to stay away from it. Have been struggling this year though.
  • Ian8567
    Ian8567 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you define as junk, ultimately, and what context it holds within your diet.
    So for example, last week I bought a tube of pringles. Ate maybe 5 of the chips a day, counted every one. I just wonder if that in and of itself is hugely negative.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So for example, last week I bought a tube of pringles. Ate maybe 5 of the chips a day, counted every one. I just wonder if that in and of itself is hugely negative.

It's 0% negative. Good job on moderating your intake, that's what it's all about.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Not in the slightest.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Are they crowding out foods that will help you meet your other nutritional goals?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

It's 0% negative. Good job on moderating your intake, that's what it's all about.

This! Moderation is the key for all types of food and it took me a long time to learn that.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If you fail to meet your nutrient goals (which can happen if you fill up on calories that lack macro/micro nutrients that you need), you may see health/energy impacts.
    This
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Here's the problem with junk food....for me its a self control thing....junk food leaves me unsatisfied and thus generally leads me to overeat.
    And that
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've eaten junk food the entire 36 days I've been doing MFP, and this morning weigh in I had lost 14 lbs.
    I've had Cheetos, Cadbury mini eggs, sugar cookies, pizza, enchiladas, whoppers. But I've stuck to my calorie goals each day, except Easter.
    Portioning out ONE serving and eating only that HELPS. Instead of eating out of the bag, and then consuming entire said bag.
    I've done EVERY other diet out there, Atkins, WW, Medifast, Nutrisystem, and they've all failed because they were too restrictive and I wanted "cheat days" Instead of just eating like a normal person. I've only been at this for 36 days, but it's felt the best out of any plan. I can still have pizza with my family, I've made breakfast my "health focused" meal of the day. Greek yogurt, berries, eggs, etc. Lunch is usually leftovers or a salad, If I have the calories I have a mid afternoon snack of fruit or a "junk food" then dinner. And sometimes I'll go for a walk to earn a few extra calories to have a topping on my popcorn.
    Having "bad" foods or "cheat" foods sets us up for failure. We're going to eat junk food, because it exists and it's yummy. But we don't have to feel guilty about it, if we use portion control and account for it.
  • Ian8567
    Ian8567 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I appreciate it a lot everyone!
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Can't answer any better than this.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    People need to stop giving food more power than it really has. Everything in moderation. There's not one food that will make you instantly fat or one food that will make you instantly skinny. Its all about calories in and calories out.

I'm completely impressed you can limit yourself to only 5 pringles a day. I practically treat those big tubes as single servings! :p
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am trying to find my maintenance, but had been eating pretty far below even my weight loss goals (1200-1300 where to lose .5/wk I should be able to eat ~1500) so I've been slowly upping my calories and watching the scale. While I have been able to fit plenty of 'treats' in my diet even on 1200-1300, in the last two days I had (this is what I can remember without going back to look at my diary):

taco bell
    yeast rolls with half bars of chocolate melted on
    angle food cake
    chips (corn and potato)
    breaded chicken
    ice cream & frozen yogurt

in an effort to get at least to the 1500 I'm 'allowed' to continue to lose weight... just cause I'm paranoid that I'll start gaining if I go above that.

I was down almost two more pounds today vs three days ago. And I haven't even ridden my horse this week (only real exercise I get) :P

Note I only list these because they are what many people would call 'junk'. I call them 'dense calories containing stuff I need like fats, iron, protein, etc... that also taste extra-good'.

I'm at around 75lbs lost in 295 days.

So, so long as you are sure to log and fit everything you eat into the calories you're allowed... unless you have a condition (IR, PCOS, etc) it doesn't matter what those calories consist of. Even potato chips have a good amount of protein, fiber, potassium... and even vit C (though 148 g of chopped up/oven crisped potatoes are IMHO so much more filling and satisfying)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    FTR - the only proper way to eat pringles:

a93b059c338d5f5f5962b4febceb01ebec741bea512c13700d81b5a3d9a7e7b4.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I might use the term habitual, or go-to foods. Some foods I haven't shown a lot of control over in the past, so I might replace it with a lower-calorie version until I am able to moderate it. For instance, air-popped popcorn instead of movie popcorn with added butter.

I can also repackage in realistic portions, so I get used to the idea of how much is enough.

I remember the history of cookies, where they used to be a seasonal treat. A medieval child would look forward to their single Christmas cookie for instance. I've been looking closer at cookies and as long as they aren't the mega Costco-sized kind, a single cookie is pretty good, calorie-wise. Better than a muffin. Lower than a protein health bar.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with junk food in moderation. The problem with junk food is it tends to be calorie dense without providing very many nutrients. A lot of people, myself included, continue to eat junk food while dieting. It doesn't prevent you from losing weight.

My advice is if you can control your portions, then continuing to eat junk food is fine. If you can't control your portions, then junk food is probably something you should consider not eating.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    @ceoverturf You are my hero right now. XD

I eat at least a little 'junk' food on most days! As long as it's not eating into the calories you need to 'spend' on getting nutrition, it won't harm your weight loss. In fact you could eat nothing but junk and still lose if you kept in a calorie deficit... that wouldn't be very good for you though, and you'd probably not feel your best after a while.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

^That^

A calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie. Doesn't matter if it's a poptart calorie or a carrot calorie.