Staying fit during the holidays

Options
We've all heard it before, but I need some serious help on how to keep the weight off these next few weeks. There are so many parties, gift baskets, and baked goods tempting me! It's very hard to stay on track. In order to be realistic, I'm not actually trying to drop lbs during this time, rather I'd just like to maintain my weight. After the holidays is when I'll break out the old hardcore routine...any suggestions?

Replies

• readyforyou
    Options
    We've all heard it before, but I need some serious help on how to keep the weight off these next few weeks. There are so many parties, gift baskets, and baked goods tempting me! It's very hard to stay on track. In order to be realistic, I'm not actually trying to drop lbs during this time, rather I'd just like to maintain my weight. After the holidays is when I'll break out the old hardcore routine...any suggestions?
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I relate all holiday goodies to the number the minutes that I have to exercise in order to eat it. I love to exercise but during the holidays there are so many other commitments I have, knowing that I have to exercise extra outside of my already planned workouts is stress that I don't want. So I think, is this (insert deliciously evil treat) worth the 1/2 hour of time I would normally spend with family??
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Keep making time for those workouts. I think everyone deserves treats in moderation during the holidays so do not deprive yourself, its Christmas. Even with all the commitments make time for yourself to workout and have some me time, you will be happier during this busy season.:happy:

Alisha
  • nicolesdiet0809
    Options
    I'm not kidding, but let me tell you I found that zig zagging your calories has helped me lose soooo much weight. When I was eating the same calories everyday I was losing, but not as dramtically as when I go up and down. SO my point is, maybe have here and there, once or twice a week, or on Christmas and Christmas Day some of those goodies. I've lose 8lbs this way, just "tricking" my body up. And it all started when I indulged at Turkey Day for a few days (mutliple family dinners at different times) and then went back on my diet.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The biggest one I think, AVOID the break room full of temptation....I find that if I just take a break in our lobby or outside or even just in my office, I have avoided a great deal of sadness and misery that comes with the pain of knowing you just ate a bazillion calories trying this and that. As far as out of the office, make sure and drink lots of WATER...it will help you feel fuller and not so tempted....so far that has all worked for me and make sure to get your exercise in whether it is at the gym, in the livingroom watching TV or just cleaning house. Everything counts just keep that in mind. A moving body is calories burning away....YAHOO!!!!!!:tongue:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    ugh, it's so hard, isn't it? :grumble:
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Keep trying and just remember that this isn't the end of the world...
  • readyforyou
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions! I've been hearing a lot about the zig zagging calorie thing, I'll have to give it a shot to see for myself. Happy Holidays!
  • heartbrake
    Options
    I ask myself this every year! I actually saw one of those TV fitness reality shows last year around the holiday time and I learned about curbing your cravings during this time - and it's helped me!
    So what you do is pick one day where you indulge in your biggest craving -cookies, cake, other junk food, etc. Allow yourself a good portion of it on this one day. Then after, go back to healthy eating and stick with it for the rest of the holidays. I know this is still very difficult, but it gives me something to look forward to and I don't feel like I'm totally missing out on all the goodies!
  • laurs
    laurs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ok, so it's the holidays and i've admittedly been indulging cuz it's always going out with friends and eating...so many parties...oops. thing is, i could totally balance it all by exercising but i'm sick now and can't go exercise cuz i feel worse when i do--ah, so frustrating! i hope to get back into the routine soon once i'm no longer sick, but it's been hard cuz I FEEL fat..

ok, will stop whining now...
  • shakeitup
    Options
    I ask myself this every year! I actually saw one of those TV fitness reality shows last year around the holiday time and I learned about curbing your cravings during this time - and it's helped me!
    So what you do is pick one day where you indulge in your biggest craving -cookies, cake, other junk food, etc. Allow yourself a good portion of it on this one day. Then after, go back to healthy eating and stick with it for the rest of the holidays. I know this is still very difficult, but it gives me something to look forward to and I don't feel like I'm totally missing out on all the goodies!

Well, i didn't too well this year! But funny you should mention fitness reality shows because there is a new show on tonight on Lifetime called DietTribe. I'm definitely going to watch it to gain some motivation!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3OqEhpQls
    Anything with Jessie Pavelka! Anyone seen the ads for it? Also, what about that new show on Discovery Health?
  • greeneggsam
    Options

Well, i didn't too well this year! But funny you should mention fitness reality shows because there is a new show on tonight on Lifetime called DietTribe. I'm definitely going to watch it to gain some motivation!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv3OqEhpQls
    Anything with Jessie Pavelka! Anyone seen the ads for it? Also, what about that new show on Discovery Health?

National Body Challenge is the show on Discovery Health. I have my DVR set for it already! It has been on before under slightly different names, so it's not exactly new, but I am excited - I too can use the motivation! I really like it better than Biggest Loser (I know, I'm am making myself an outcast here) because nobody gets kicked off and the winner is chosen by the quality of their lifestyle change, not just on the numbers.
  • bananasallday
    Options

Funny you mention it, I happened to watch this last night! I thought it was great, and well done. I think I could get motivated if I got my girls with me - I should invite them over next week to watch! Anyone one else want to host a DietTribe party and then we can see how it went after next weeks show?