Sharp back pain, upper left side of spine?

Options
I woke up yesterday with a horrid pain in my upper left back. It seems to be in the area where my neck connects with my shoulder. The pain is worse today. I have had this pain before - it usually happens if I sleep in a bad position. UGH. I will not be able to exercise today. Is there any stretch or anything I can do to just lessen the pain?? I am miserable! I already took two Advil - they aren't touching this pain!

Replies

• talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ohh.. i had that about a week ago. I'm sorry, there isn't much you can do.. i tried to just go about my day and ignore the pain. the first day i didn't exercise (even though i had to give a flute concert, ever seen how you hold a flute??), the second i did a little bit and the third day i continued on with 30DayShred..

Sorry i can't be of more help, but i know what you're oging through!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a back spasm under the scapula. I've gotten those from time to time and there is little that you can do to alleviate the pain. Rest and Ice are the best things for you, and you've already taken the ADVIL.

Shoulder, Lat and Rhomboid stretches may help to alleviate the problem, but it's impossible for me to give any specific recommendations without knowing the exact location of the spasm.

Deep tissue massage could be an option if you have a therapist. Also, a Chiropractor could help as well, since it's possible that there could be a nerve impingement in one of your spinal joints.

Rest and Ice are your best friends right now.

Cheers!
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Maybe try Aleve instead - it is a muscle relaxer instead of Advil which is anti-inflammatory. It may relieve more of the pain and help the muscle relax a bit.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I get that all the time. It's probably a spasm in your trapezius. Ice the first day, then heat. Muscle relaxers if you have them. If not, call your doc and see if he can give you some. Stretches don't really help me. Sleep does. So does Ativan (it's in the same family as valium and xanax).
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch, then stretch some more. :) It really will help. Heat as well will loosen up the knot.
  • sabracadabra
    Options
    I had that so bad once I lost the ability to check my blindspot when I was driving! But keep moving - it was made worse by not moving. I went to a doctor and got muscle relaxers to take before bed, which helped greatly. That and a heating pad at night. My doctor also showed me a stretch where you lean forward slightly and hang your arms infront of you to use the weight of your arms to slowly stretch the muscle in spasm. Don't go overboard though - stretching a muscle in spasm too much can make it worse.