Safe to Use Hot Cocoa Mix from Dented Can: Thoughts?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So, I'm a bit of a bargain shopper and purchased a 30 oz container of Starbucks Classic Hot Cocoa Powder Mix off eBay the other day, for a really good price, except it is dented... pretty bad. I remember learning in my nutrition class that dented canned goods should be discarded immediately due to the bacteria they may contain, but would it still be unsafe for powdered mixes such as this? I have not yet opened it, but the can isn't bulging or anything weird, but it is VERY dented. What do you guys think, would you use it or throw it out? Are only canned soups/beans/etc. with ACTUAL food the only thing to really worry about, or are powdered mixes just as high-risk as these?
Thanks!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Dented aluminum cans of liquid food (ie canned goods) can be dangerous because of the risk of botulism, as it may indicate the seam was damaged, allowing bacteria in.

I wouldn't stress about a dent in a canister of powdered food unless there is a leak in the can and you're concerned that someone may have tampered with the food through that leak.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think it wouldn't apply to a powder? More to like canned vegetables or similar. I tried to google it and this article mentions when the air mixes with liquid - then you botulism. So a powder wouldn't seem to apply.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/budgeting/safe-to-buy-dented-foods-from-grocery-store.htm
  • hgycta
    Options
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help you guys! I think I'll have some tomorrow morning with my breakfast then unless I see someone comment here that I shouldn't haha :) I need to stop being so impulsive on that website!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by 'dented'. If there's no actually hole in it, I don't see any problem.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    this too is from an article about dented cans. could apply to both liquid and dry contents: Don’t buy cans that are dented on the top or bottom. This is where the main seams are located and the can is the weakest.
    Don’t buy cans with deep, sharp dents. These can compromise the can and shouldn’t be purchased.
    Don’t buy a can if it’s bulging. These are definitely unsafe and contain harmful bacteria.
    Don’t buy cans that have rust on them. These can have tiny holes in them that will allow bacteria to get in the food.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The powder should be ok. Unlike canned veggies that quickly spoil once the can is opened, hot coco powders can usually last a long time even once opened, it's too dry to easily host bacteria.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was bulging, not dented cans that should be avoided.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I always thought it was bulging, not dented cans that should be avoided.

Bulging cans are a definite red flag - if the can is bulging it is definitely spoiled.

Dented cans with a small dent are usually fine. A really big dent means the seal might be compromised, allowing bacteria in.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My mom always taught me to throw it out if it's dented along the seams.

Otherwise, go for it.

And no to bulging!
  • hgycta
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! It's not bulging, so I'm going for it haha x)
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The can should make a little 'swoosh' noise when you open it for the first time. If it does that, then it was sealed.