Sedentary Workouts/Exercises To do at work? (Desk Job)

Options
I spend most of my day sitting down unfortunately! Recently I've started walking 20 minutes on my lunch break versus eating. Which actually isn't a problem, I never really get hungry around lunch time, I'm more so hungry soon as I get out of work.

Anyways! Bottom line...

What are some good exercises you can do right at your desk without being totally obnoxious of course.

Thank you in advanced! :)

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells, resistance bands, walking in place, an exercise ball to sit on (balance)
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    Dumbbells, resistance bands, walking in place, an exercise ball to sit on (balance)

Resistance bands are great, I can pull it under my desk, but sometimes people think I'm doing weird stuff down there ha.. Walking in place is also great along with stretching and just getting up and shaking your body a little bit. I still want one of those standing desk thingies.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work on the 4th floor but only use the restroom on the 1st floor. This means taking the stairs up and down 4 flights several times a day. I never use the elevator.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that people do that kind of stuff to keep themselves from feeling guilty, rather than real results. It doesn't translate into many calories more than you burn just sitting there. But just swinging your swivel chair back and forth all day is likely to burn a few extra calories. Maybe even as many as a treadmill desk. I just wouldn't use that to replace regular exercise.
  • fairy2b
    fairy2b Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and I make a couple choices in my day that increase my activity. 1) I'll park on the top level farthest away and always take the stairs 2) I try to drink a lot of water (which makes me go to the bathroom prob every hour or two) and every time I go the bathroom, I do 10 squats. These can add up quickly! =P
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that people do that kind of stuff to keep themselves from feeling guilty, rather than real results. It doesn't translate into many calories more than you burn just sitting there. But just swinging your swivel chair back and forth all day is likely to burn a few extra calories. Maybe even as many as a treadmill desk. I just wouldn't use that to replace regular exercise.

I do it because sitting for 8+ hours a day is bad for you, not because I feel guilty.
  • adamitri
    edited May 2015
    Options

Guilty about what? Sitting all day is not good for your body, you should get up and move around even if you don't do any exercise. And, who said they're replacing their exercise with this? I don't like to be sedentary but my job requires me to be at my desk most of the day when all I want to do is get up and go outside. I can't wait to change clothes and hit the trail when I get home but sitting still sucks.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Small things you do over 8 hours can absolutely add up to as many calories burned as a 45 min-1 hour trip to the gym. You may not get the cardiovascular activity for your heart, but NEAT is nothing to sneeze at. It's much more beneficial to get up and move, than just sit back in your chair feeling like it's pointless all day. Do what you can do, Leighkai76.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I keep a 10 pound dumbbell next to my desk and do curls and extensions while I work. (I am low on the ladder of strength, so 10 pounds is a decent workout for me...I still need a 5 for Tri extensions!)

A treadmill desk SOUNDS good, but I get motion sick on a treadmill. I can't imagine trying to work on one for 8 hours a day!
  • Drakhan
    Drakhan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There are all kinds of yoga stretches you can do to keep from stiffening up at work. Do a search for "office yoga" or "desk yoga" and you mayl get some ideas.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Look up a series called "YouCube" on youtube! Its a 3 minute soap opera series based on cubicle exercises :) Entertaining too!
  • adamitri
    Options
    I keep a 10 pound dumbbell next to my desk and do curls and extensions while I work. (I am low on the ladder of strength, so 10 pounds is a decent workout for me...I still need a 5 for Tri extensions!)

A treadmill desk SOUNDS good, but I get motion sick on a treadmill. I can't imagine trying to work on one for 8 hours a day!

That's a good idea, I'm going to bring my 10lber to work and do that too! Thanks Hey!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Desk job also, long hours staring at the screen: like others, I take stairs instead of elevator; take the longer route from one office to the next when going to the mailroom or a partner's office; nice weather means I can skip the building cafeteria and walk around for a little while; go to a nice place for a fresh salad then take the longer route back to the office. Yes! It does add up, bit by bit.
  • NauticalGypsy
    NauticalGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Leighkai76 wrote: »

I do it because sitting for 8+ hours a day is bad for you, not because I feel guilty.

Highly agree, It's not because I feel guilty, it's more so because I'm bored, I don't want to be here I'd rather be outside working out, making some sort of an effort to a healthier lifestyle, so while I'm stuck here sitting I'd like to find a way to make the most of it. Definitely not a means to replace exercise haha I know it wouldn't count as much but it's better then sitting all day letting all your joints stiffen up on you, making you feel old.
  • NauticalGypsy
    NauticalGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    fairy2b wrote: »
    I also have a desk job and I make a couple choices in my day that increase my activity. 1) I'll park on the top level farthest away and always take the stairs 2) I try to drink a lot of water (which makes me go to the bathroom prob every hour or two) and every time I go the bathroom, I do 10 squats. These can add up quickly! =P

I feel like I've mastered the skill of "Toilet Hovering" due to my phobia of my bottom ever touching the seat! Never thought of doing Squats though! Definitely have to try it! I work on the bottom floor but it's only a 2 story building I guess any amount of stairs I use is better then none!

Due to where I work we're not allowed to have anything at the desk but bottled water, so bringing equipment isn't necessarily an option.

Thanks for all the helpful tips Guys!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do the same kind of exercise that they recommend on long plane flights-- not for calorie burn but because I have a history of blood clots and sit about 9-10 hours a day for my work.

This is a pretty good example (#8 not recommended at work OR on a flight!)
    http://www.wikihow.com/Do-an-In-Flight-Fitness-Workout

I also do the 'use restroom on a different floor' thing.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    For me just getting up to go to the farthest restroom a few times a day is enough movement for me in my sedentary desk job. I figure between my regular 1-1.5 hr workouts 6 days a week, plus my ongoing chores at home being a mom of 2 (well, 3 if you count my hubby's messes...LOL), I'm moving plenty during the day. I'm one of those fidgeters too...so that just adds to my daily movements. haha.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've mastered the skill of "Toilet Hovering" due to my phobia of my bottom ever touching the seat!

Do you lift the lid so the next lady doesn't accidentally sit on your spewed pee?

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    7 minute total body work out. You can get the app on your phone for free. Do it on each of your 15 min breaks. Also, can you eat at your desk? I walk on my lunch break and then eat when I get back to work.
  • adamitri
    Options
    I feel like I've mastered the skill of "Toilet Hovering" due to my phobia of my bottom ever touching the seat!

Do you lift the lid so the next lady doesn't accidentally sit on your spewed pee?

I have a public bathroom phobia too lol but mine is a bit more extreme. I go to the bathroom once at home on the morning then I hold it until I get home in the evening.