How do you lose weight?

Options
In November I weighed 286 pounds.

Today I tipped the scale at 235.
235 is a big milestone for me because I weighed 236 the day I enlisted in the Army, 15 years ago.

The next milestone is 209---what I weighed at the end of Basic Training.

You see post after post on MFP asking "How do you lose weight?" For me, it's been through
ADHD:
When my weight loss stalls, it's because
Accuracy---I'm not measuring my intake accurately,
Diligence---I'm not staying on my goals every day,
Honesty---I'm refusing to be honest with myself about my choices,
Discipline---and I'm not pushing myself to make better decisions.

If anyone reading this is struggling to lose weight, I understand. It's definitely easier said than done.

Here are some things that have helped me so far:

Stay busy. Idle hands are the devil's workshop. Or devil's kitchen! If you keep busy and focused on other things, you're less likely to think about eating.

Measure your calories accurately and honestly. I did ok at first by 'cutting back' and went from 286 to about 275, then a stall. Then I got some measuring cups and spoons. That was nice...went to 261, then another stall. Bought a food scale. Nice! Took me to 245, then another stall. So I looked for 'hidden' calories. Condiments like ketchup and mayonnaise, salad dressing, coffee creamer, oils to cook with...I discovered an extra 300 to 400+ daily calories that I was in denial about.

Use this website. Fill out your profile. Put up some pictures. Make friends. Encourage other people. Read the forums, the posts are great sources of information. LOG YOUR FOOD. It gets easier as you go.

Look in the mirror. Are you too fat? Do you want to change that? Get healthy, feel better, look better? I tell myself, "I am fat. But that's ok. I'm doing something about it. Today, I am the fattest I will ever be." Be proud of yourself for taking action, for doing something.

Get excited! You're going to be buying new clothes, feeling so much more energy, getting compliments, feeling better. I've got a long way to go still, but I feel exponentially better about so many things.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I'm just excited about this personal milestone. It's been a big one for me. Thanks for reading, though ;)

I believe in you.
Brandon

bh2vl98mkgfp.jpg

Replies

• harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the milestone and thanks for the great advice! I'm just starting on my weight loss compared to you, and I will definitely keep your words in mind.

Also, you're looking great! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Wow -- dramatic results! Congratulations.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    congrats. It's always nice being the weight we were after Basic...I am there too...now waiting to get to my weight after battle school...that will be an achievement.
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your milestone! :)
  • krichard08
    krichard08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Awesome post and great advice in there!! Congrats on the milestone!
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Congrats, thanks for the motivation!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nice going! Looking good!

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You're words have given me goosebumps. All new members should read this. Inspiring
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Congrats! Very inspiring! :)
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Great post! And well done on your milestone. I think there are plenty of new folks who will benefit from reading this. Keep going strong!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I approve of this message.
  • MsHulkMN
    MsHulkMN Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    BOOYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great job!
  • bekkilea
    bekkilea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Very well written and inspiring!
    You inspired me to make my first post :)
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Great post....thank you! And congrats!
  • forthegoals
    forthegoals Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    nicely said.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Good work. I started out on weight loss in February of this year. I hit a point where I said enough was enough after tipping the scales at 110.5kg (243.1lbs). I had been off the booze for 4 months by this stage and this was the logical next step.

I may be going overboard but as I have a sedentary job (Control room operator for mining) and sit in a chair for the most part of 12 hours I decided to cut back the kilojoules by lots. I have tapered my intake down to about 4000kj per day which is about 955 calories. I weigh all my food. I eat very little red meat and now I eat chicken mainly for the meat component. I have a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit in the menu. I hardly use any cooking spray oils and no normal oils at all.

For exercise I have a Fitbit to track my steps and try to get 10,000 per day where possible. I also hop on my bicycle and get 30 minutes where possible too. Since February I have lost 20.8kg (45.76lbs) I now weigh in at 89.8kg and still have around 10kg to go and then I will go into a maintenance food regime. It has been hard work mentally as craving food when really hungry is a challenge but I win out every time and have a piece of fruit or grab some diet soda or water which settles it down.

I did a "test" day's menu for when I hit the maintenance food level and it will seem like I am eating like a king compared to how I am currently eating lol.

The biggest bonus is I have had high blood pressure the past 18 months and now my pressure is actually getting too low and I may be able to come off the blood pressure medication finally. Now that was worth it for that alone.

For those on this road good luck and I hope you achieve your goals. Never give up as the end game is worth it! :)

• ambersanford204
    ambersanford204 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. Thanks! Denial was a big one for me for a while! I like this => "Today, I am the fattest I will ever be"

Great tips and inspiring photos!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Very nice post, Brandon! Congratulations on reaching this milestone!
  • britt01any
    britt01any Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your post is very motivating , thank you for sharing!! Great job on your milestone!!!☺