HELP

Does anyone have a 1620 calorie menu they would be willing to share?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Are you looking for recipes? Your diary is full of 1500+ calorie stuff.. Not sure what is meant by menu? or are you having trouble meeting calories?

You are 44 years old according to your profile, do you cook or prepare meals only for your self... Please elaborate..
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    eatingwell.com has free healthy menu plans. Several other websites too. Just Google :smile:
  • bobbifowler
    bobbifowler Posts: 7 Member
    I cook only for myself. My calorie intake a day should be 1620 I never reach it. I am always short on my protein intake and carbs, but sometimes go over on my sodium, fiber, and get pretty close to going over on fat and sugar whenever I do get close to reaching 1620 calories a day. I weigh 259 and just started my weight loss journey a little more than a week ago and I just really don't know what I'm doing. I'm finding it frustrating at this point when it comes to figuring out what to eat, how to prepare it and reach 1620 calories a day while trying to not go over in sodium, sugar, fat, protein, sodium, sugar, etc.

It would just be nice to wake up look at a 1620 calorie menu every day and say okay this is what I'm eating today to reach my goal rather than trying to figure it out on my own as I really have no clue as to what I am doing. I have been an unhealthy eater my whole life so everything here is new to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Greenkat57
    Greenkat57 Posts: 24 Member
    Hi Bobbifowler!

I am fairly new to all of this too with over 100 pounds to lose. I am in my 50's yet never grasped the basics of nutrition!

What I did was follow suggestions to eat protein at every meal and for a snack if possible. the eat vegtables, and then a carb. I followed this method best I could and recorded them faithfully on MFP. I had and still have problems with going over with sodium...the crap is in EVERYTHING!

After a month of experimenting with different meals and combinations I went thru and selected my 'best' meals where I stayed under my goals. then I mixed and matched so I would not exceed my daily total allowances in any category.

For instance, if I do bacon or sausage at breakfast I have to have a low sodium/low fat lunch & dinner. So I look for meals that meet these guidelines. I try to do a week's menu based on what I have in the house, but that does not always work out. It does give me a 'map' or sense of direction when I am floundering which I desperately need...otherwise I am likely to binge.

You can friend me if you want and view my diary. Good luck!

Kathy
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    It's better in the long run if you experiment and plan, do some research and learn how to eat right than if someone just gives you a list of foods to eat. Start with breaking you calorie goal up into meals and snacks, and then look for tasty recipes and ideas that fit those calories. See how you like them and if you are satisfied. See how your macros line up. Each day, take what you learned and adjust your plans. That's how you create a healthy new lifestyle that is sustainable. Following a written menu created by someone else is not....
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    I never get close to the sodium allowed, not even when I eat bacon. My guess is it's because I don't eat prepared foods such as frozen dinners, but that's just a guess. If you don't have high blood pressure, maybe don't sweat the sodium and other nutrients just now - you're just learning how to count calories. Can you plan your own food in advance? Please try not to be hard on yourself. This is a new skill. It takes time.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I cook only for myself. My calorie intake a day should be 1620 I never reach it. I am always short on my protein intake and carbs, but sometimes go over on my sodium, fiber, and get pretty close to going over on fat and sugar whenever I do get close to reaching 1620 calories a day. I weigh 259 and just started my weight loss journey a little more than a week ago and I just really don't know what I'm doing. I'm finding it frustrating at this point when it comes to figuring out what to eat, how to prepare it and reach 1620 calories a day while trying to not go over in sodium, sugar, fat, protein, sodium, sugar, etc.

It would just be nice to wake up look at a 1620 calorie menu every day and say okay this is what I'm eating today to reach my goal rather than trying to figure it out on my own as I really have no clue as to what I am doing. I have been an unhealthy eater my whole life so everything here is new to me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

These are the priorities as I see them:
    1. Get under 1620
    2. Get enough protein (or close to it)
    3. Eat your fat and oils if you can.

(You can ignore being over OR under the sodium/ sugar/ carbs /other stuff unless you have a medical condition.

Google this for some ideas: 5-Day 1500-Calorie Diet Meal Plan
    Work things out so that you do not have to be cooking all the time.
    You could cook something that will last for three meals (eat one portion and put the other two in the fridge/freezer for example.)
    Some fast food/ convenience food has protein and low-ish calories. Those are good choices.
    Use a scale to weigh your food. Pre-log the day before so you are always planning one day ahead. After two or three weeks of logging you will start to feel more sure of yourself.
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    I'm wondering also if maybe you've set your weight loss at too high a rate. I am close to your weight, and I get 1930 calories a day. I entered that I wanted to lose only half a pound a week because I thought that being able to succeed at calorie counting was more important for me than fast weight loss. Since I have so much to lose, I was thinking I would be able to stay motivated for longer if I was meeting my goals on a daily basis and not worrying too much about losing weight quickly. I am eating less than I was and have to pay attention, but it's not terribly hard. Also, are you able to exercise, and if so, are you logging it? I took a long walk last week specifically because I wanted butter on my bread and I didn't have enough calories for it.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about your macros, just focus on meeting your calorie goal

Eating well.com is good and skinnytaste.com also ambitiouskitchen.com is good