networking and failure

Options
Hello I'm Sy and for work I spend about 7-12 nights monthly networking at events (galas, bars, ect) attempting to raise funds or awareness of chronic illness in youth/young adults. The food options are rarely healthy and networking w/o a drink in your hand gets you strange looks. I workout, but know these networking nights are killing my ability to loss weight. Does anyone have suggestions?I have tried eating prior to events, but when they run over 3+hours its hard not to snack.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps. When you're unable to do that you need to be conscientious and use moderation.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Bring something to snack on in your purse and sneak out for a 'bathroom break' and eat it if you have to. Get a drink, hold it, small sips or dont drink it. Nobody will know unless you're talking to the same person for 3 hours. You got this, you just have to want it badly enough!
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Seltzer with lime. Keep one in your hand the whole time and drink away. I've been known to stash an apple and a couple of packs of almonds in my purse if I need to duck out for a discreet snack. If there is a particular venue I go to a lot I try to scope a few "safe" options ahead of time. Yay for shrimp cocktail! Hope that helps a little. Good for you raising money for chronic illness!
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Your not failing, just a little hiccup. Instead of alcoholic drink maybe u can do a spritzer or just water ln a cup. On days you have one of your events maybe breakfast and lunch can be light and save the bulk of your calories for the event.?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Pre-logging helps. When you're unable to do that you need to be conscientious and use moderation.

Can't pre-log when attending a networking event where you don't know what's being served.
  • syrenzcall
    syrenzcall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these suggestions!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is one of those chronic illnesses you're raising awareness of obesity?
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd see...sometimes this works, if you can get a special plate. When I was vegan and needed to do these types of events, I would call up the organizer and many times they are happy to help. Other times, I wound up not eating. Sometimes I could catch a staff member for the venue and ask for a salad without dressing and a plate of non-buttered, cooked veggies. You would be surprised how flexible event staff can be. Special dietary issues aren't rare any longer, so I still use this rationale to ask.

I also agree with just getting a seltzer water and lime. It'll up your liquid intake,too. When folks razz me about not drinking alcohol, I will give them a polite response, but SMH, why the peer pressure.

Good luck and bravo for raising attention to social issues!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Drink sparkling mineral water if they have it.

If you're networking, you'll be moving from person to person, so nobody will realise you're refusing all the food platters.

Good luck and well done for asking for help!
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have to network for work, attend parties, do's and freaking lovely high cal buffets too.

Diet tonic water, ice and a slice in hand the whole time. Politely smiling and gesturing with drink seems to hold of the servers at standing events plus the tonic fills me up so I can avoid over doing the food too badly.
    I'm fairly good at estimating cals but it's almost impossible when lots of little bits of random foods are available. If you can stick to a few items only and repeatedly eat those it's easier to track once home I guess.
    Keep moving and talking to people away from the buffet stand, if I stand near them I constantly pick up food. Lol.

(I've never managed to eat my own snacks at these things as it just feels rude and slightly silly to me.)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My husband does a similar amount of networking and does the seltzer water thing or something similar. He also never eats at these things because it's really difficult to "work" the room with a glass in one hand and messy food in another. He can't talk and eat at the same time. He gets a lot more networking in without eating. It drives me crazy at times because he will go to a dinner event and then come home and want to eat.
  • syrenzcall
    syrenzcall Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is one of those chronic illnesses you're raising awareness of obesity?

I my primary focus is HIV/AIDs