weight lifting schedule help

Options
So I have heard that you should work out certain muscles together. I need a good routine. I do half hour of cardio every day and weight lift 4 days a week right now I do leg day, arm day and ab day but i would like to break it down into quads, lats, bicept, triceps etc to make sure I'm getting all the muscle groups. Please help

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why don't you pick a program? You can do a full body program a few times a week, or a 4 day split if you've been lifting for awhile, or two days upper/two days lower.

Have you thought about SL 5x5? New Rules of Lifting for Women? Strong Curves?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Get rid of ab day.

I would recommend compound lifts if you're a beginner. The programs mentioned above are good for that. Make sure to strictly follow a proven program and not just make up a routine.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The compound lifts hit all your major muscle groups at once. I'd definitely look into a program that incorporates Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, and Military Press to maximize your time.

If what your looking for is a list of muscles that you can hit . . .
    Calves
    Hamstrings
    Quads
    Glutes
    Lower back
    Upper back
    Abs
    Obliques
    Chest
    Shoulders (Front, side and rear deltoids)
    Traps
    Biceps
    Triceps
    Forearms

What you do from there depends entirely on your goal. Are you training for strength, size, or just to look better?

Strength - Lifting as much as you can with pauses for rest (more rest means you can move heavier weights on sets 2 and 3) and not a ton of reps is key.

Size - Volume. Lots of different exercises per muscle, lots of reps, lots of protein.

Look better - Some where in between those 2. More reps than strength and less rest. Less volume and reps than size.

Good luck and happy lifting.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tross0924 wrote: »
    The compound lifts hit all your major muscle groups at once. I'd definitely look into a program that incorporates Deadlifts, Squats, Bench, and Military Press to maximize your time.

If what your looking for is a list of muscles that you can hit . . .
    Calves
    Hamstrings
    Quads
    Glutes
    Lower back
    Upper back
    Abs
    Obliques
    Chest
    Shoulders (Front, side and rear deltoids)
    Traps
    Biceps
    Triceps
    Forearms

What you do from there depends entirely on your goal. Are you training for strength, size, or just to look better?

Strength - Lifting as much as you can with pauses for rest (more rest means you can move heavier weights on sets 2 and 3) and not a ton of reps is key.

Size - Volume. Lots of different exercises per muscle, lots of reps, lots of protein.

Look better - Some where in between those 2. More reps than strength and less rest. Less volume and reps than size.

Good luck and happy lifting.

I don't quite agree with this point, but the rest seems OK.
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice :)