Is Walking better than other exercise

pamwilli14
pamwilli14 Posts: 27 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Is walking for an hour better than other exercises. What is the best exercises to do? I currently switch between Curves Zumba WII Fit and Walking

Replies

• bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    I walk as I can't get to the gym. I drop my 5 year old at school and leave the car there. (We live 5 miles from school so can't walk there!) I walk about 3.5 miles in an hour pushing my 1 year old in pram with the dog in tow and find it a great workout!!
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Variety is good! you won't get bored! if you start plateauing in your exercise then there are things to do to add intensity!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Walking on an incline burns the same amount of calories as running on a flat surface. I have heard that running not only burns fat but also muscle. That worries me. Walking is great exercise. I would suggest switching it up between Zumba, walking, and possibly strength training (which you can do at home).
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Walking is a great thing to do. I would do different workouts each day so I don't get bored.
  • I was gaining weight at a rapid pace (I have chronic back pain) and I had to do something about it so I started walking 3-4 miles 3-4 days a week my weight is slowly going down. They say if you walk your burning calories but if you add weights (just lite weights) you will continue to burn calories after your walk. Maybe I'll add some hand weights to my workout so my work out will not last more then an hour. Just a thought... hope this helps.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    For an out of shape person it is great. Inexpensive, available in some shape or form to everyone, and can be scenic. My particular neighborhood is not the safest place to walk alone, so when I go to the store (any store) I take a walk around the edge of the parking lot before I go in and shop. When the weather is just nasty I have a couple LS walking dvd's I picked up at a garage sale for $2.
This discussion has been closed.