Sedentary Workouts/Exercises To do at work? (Desk Job)

Options
2»

Replies

• knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    I feel like I've mastered the skill of "Toilet Hovering" due to my phobia of my bottom ever touching the seat!

Do you lift the lid so the next lady doesn't accidentally sit on your spewed pee?

I have a public bathroom phobia too lol but mine is a bit more extreme. I go to the bathroom once at home on the morning then I hold it until I get home in the evening.

You know, I used to do the hovering, phobia stuff...but then I spent a month in Africa, and then in Russia, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and joined the army and went through basic and AIT where it was Porta potty central. Cured me of that. I sit on everything now...can't be worse than all that, and the skin is a pretty darn good barrier.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my day sitting down unfortunately! Recently I've started walking 20 minutes on my lunch break versus eating. Which actually isn't a problem, I never really get hungry around lunch time, I'm more so hungry soon as I get out of work.

Anyways! Bottom line...

What are some good exercises you can do right at your desk without being totally obnoxious of course.

Thank you in advanced! :)

I drink a lot of water ... so I'm up about once an hour walking to the toilet and refilling my glass.

One of my coworkers has one of those large exercise balls which he uses from time to time.

Several other coworkers get up every couple hours and walk down a couple flights of stairs then up again. More walk all the way up when they arrive at work and after lunch (I really need to start doing this!).

About half my coworkers stand during meetings. I do this about half the time.

A few have installed standing desks ... they are becoming more popular.

I haven't seen them where I work now, but in a previous place we all had stretchy bands for some upper body stretches.

Walking at lunch is great ... can you also walk before and after work? I've got a 0.5 km walk each way between home and the bus and work = 1 km each day. Not a lot, but better than nothing.

A lot of these things don't have much to do with burning calories (although they will burn a few more than just sitting there), instead they are good ideas for those who sit a lot. We're not supposed to sit for hours at a time for many reasons ... we're supposed to get up and move around.

Fortunately my office has a pretty good ergonomics officer who visits now and then and offers suggestions. So if someone wants to get up and hike up and down the stairs for 5 minutes once an hour, or to order an exercise ball, or standing desk or something like that ... that's OK. It's encouraged. :)

• runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I print on different floors and take the steps, I also walk to talk to people over emailing so often. If I need to brainstorm, I use a five minute break to walk around the block. I've also been walking up and down the stairs a lot more. I'd love a treadmill desk.
  • NauticalGypsy
    NauticalGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've mastered the skill of "Toilet Hovering" due to my phobia of my bottom ever touching the seat!

Do you lift the lid so the next lady doesn't accidentally sit on your spewed pee?

Hahaha! like I've said I mastered that and it isn't an issue aiming, It's practically a work out while I pee. I don't know why men have such an issue sometimes! seems like it should be easier for them! I've asked for a "She-Wee" For the times I ever have to use a public bathroom skin barrier or not I just can't do it.