Any wheelchair users on the weight loss journey?

Options
I had an accident and was paralyzed a little over 4 years ago. I have gained 112 pounds back since my accident. that bugs me because in the year and a half before my accident I lost 165 pounds. I am now finding it hard to get the weight off due to my lack of mobility. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Kenellen1
    Kenellen1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sonny my dh is and has been in a chair for 7 years...the dr gave him a RX for physical therapy for strength reconditioning...the therapist also has a wellness practice. Once the pt was over he stayed in wellness..it has helped him a good bit, never will be better. It helps maintain and build muscle, increase heart rate and aid in his limited mobility. Hopefully you can find something similar. We found the hard way going to someone less skilled was not a good option. Best of luck to you. It is definately a challenge but every little bit helps..
  • sonnycarver171
    sonnycarver171 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you . There is a hospital that specializes in spinal-cord-injury and I am going to the gym there.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Using MFP will help you count calories and stick to a calorie deficit. My kind regards to you.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hi I alternate between wheelchair and walking with sticks. The Calorie counting and eating at a deficit is what will lose the weight but anything you can do to exercise will help. I've had physiotherapists help me in the past with hydrotherapy which was brilliant and I would thoroughly recommend, it eased pain but gave me a way to move easier and do stretches and exercises I wouldn't be able to normally

Good luck at the hospital gym, they should really help, and don't forget to measure and log all your food and drink accurately x
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not in a wheelchair (although I do have cervical spine issues and nerve damage, but luckily that is limited to arms and face), but I did hurt my ankle recently have I've discovered some excellent wheelchair workout videos on youtube. There are strength ones, and cardio, and can be done at home. It might be worth it to have a look at them and see if you are able to do any of the videos to get you started. It might be best to get your doctor, or a physiotherapist to have a look at them as well to ensure that they are safe for you, especially if you are uncertain.
  • bradvm
    bradvm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds in the last 11 months. I am in a wheelchair and have been for the last 11 years. I gained about 80 in those 11 years. I went through a supervised medical weight loss program and met with doctors, nutritionist, and behaviorist on a regular basis. Now I go to weekly support groups to keep me on track. It was a very low calorie diet that needed to be monitored closely. It was and is not easy with the lack of mobility but it can be done. For me it all comes down to counting the calories , exercising only using your upper body just doesn't burn the calories very well.