too much fiber!

Options
Just curious if anyone has any tips for getting in helpful calories without taking in too much fiber. I have found I love snacking on sugar snap peas, fresh berries and other very fibrous foods and while it is not hurting me- it is doing a number on my digestive tract. Does anyone have any really low calorie (non-artificial) options to share that might take the place of ALL the fiber rich foods I have been cramming down my gullet?! :happy: TIA~Fran

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Nothing is good if you are eating a lot of it. Blueberries and sugar snap peas are excellent choices for snacks. I would say that if you are having digestive issues, then your body either isn't used to that much fruit and veggies, or you are eating too much of it at once.

Always try to have a little Fat and Protein with your snacks, too. If you eat Carbs/ Fat/ Protein in every snack and meal, you will eliminate a lot of the problems, and keep your insulin levels steady. Any snack or meal that is high fiber and low fat can cause digestive upset. You may also have a sensitivity to certain furits and veggies. Experiment. Fiber is a good thing.

Add a piece of cheese, nuts or some yogurt.

just drink more water if you are taking in more fiber. You should have a minimum of 25 grams/day, and more isn't bad, just add them slowly so your body gets use to them.
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    too much fiber is a good thing I never worry about my fiber or my protien count if they are over. As long as your staying under or close to your calorie count. Good luck
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Well I'm not sure why you'd change what your eating, I think the food you're snacking on is great. Now if your experiencing GI distress I would take a probiotic like activia or greek yogurt. It should even all of that out. Also consider insoluble fibers that increase bulk rather than increase transit time. Popcorn in an awesome low cal snack. I'm including a link with information on insoluble fiber http://www.livestrong.com/article/25753-insoluble-fiber-foods-list/
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Are you needing to cut back for a reason or just because you are over what MFP is saying you should have.. The Fiber in MFP is a MINIMUM and going over is a good thing unless you have other reasons for wanting to reduce it.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat 30+ grams of fiber a day. Your body just has to adjust. It's actually quite good for you.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have times when I have to keep my fiber intake <5/day because of IBS.

Low fiber snack ideas: yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit juice (make sure there is no added sugar), smooth peanut butter with crackers and pretzels made from white flour, Italian bread with olive oil and parmesan cheese.

The reason that the fiber is bothering you is because it doesn't have the right intestinal flora to cope with it. If you gradually add fiber to your diet, the flora will adapt. Eventually you will be able to eat as much as you like. When my IBS is not flaring up, I eat 30-40g a day with no discomfort, extra gas, or other problems.
  • Franola27
    Franola27 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I really don't want to change what I am eating b/c I love all the fruit and snap peas but have been experiencing major bathroom issues...but I think it is more as a result of it all being such a shock to the system as opposed to anything else. I will certainly check out that link and maybe, instead of eating the whole bag of snap peas at once, I can space it out throughout the day. They are just SO delicious and snacking on them keeps me busy-which is always helpful! Thanks again, I love this family!