Do not drink while you eat

Options
While eating your meal, for the most part, do not drink with it.

This dilutes the stomach acids and digestive enzymes. It is best to drink 20 minutes before your meal - this helps uptake of nutrients and move bowels.

If you feel your mouth is just so darn dry while eating, that is likely due to being:

* stressed while you eat,

* eating in a rush,

* not being aware that you are eating

* secretory glands not functioning well due to drinking during meals [conditioned not to secrete]

If any of those explain you while eating, try to adjust. Your secretory glands will regain proper function once you train yourself not to drink during meals.

If you absolutely cannot avoid drinking during meals then:

* avoid cold drinks

* drink warm to hot teas

* avoid milk during meals

Drinking cold mucousy milk during a meal is like spraying foam on a fire. It totally kills it. The Chinese call your digestive system the triple burner. It burns from below and that fire works its way up properly digesting your foods. Cold milk and beverages douse that fire.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Eating-and-Drinking-Dont-Mix&id=113622

Replies

• nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You're welcome! It was interesting because like myself and most...we drink during our meals
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd heard this before, but didn't know the reasons. Thanks for posting!
  • mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It's funny my fiance teases me because I almost never drink while I eat...now i can tell him my way is the right way hehe:)
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I preach this all the time. Before I even knew the reasons I never drank anything with my meals. I would usually have a glass of water in front of me that would still be full after I was done eating. A friend of mine was engaged to a man from the Netherlands and he told me that I was doing what they do in his country. He told me the same reasons you just posted. It makes so much sense! Thank you for sharing with everyone. :D
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it is not true, drinking water with or after your meals (or any other liquid for that matter) makes no difference on your digestion.

Read below a comment form a MD from the Mayo Clinic.

Question
    Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion?Does drinking water during or after a meal disturb digestion?
    Answer
    from Michael Picco, M.D.
    •With Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist
    Dr. Michael F. Picco has been with Mayo Clinic since 1999. He is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology. Dr. Picco is an assistant professor of medicine at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and a consultant in gastroenterology at Mayo Clinic in Florida.

There's no concern that water will dilute the digestive juices or interfere with digestion. In fact, drinking water during or after a meal can actually improve digestion. Water and other liquids help break down the food in your stomach and keep your digestive system on track. Looking for other ways to promote good digestion? Focus on a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Maintain a healthy weight. Include physical activity in your daily routine.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

The information is incorrect, so no need to thank anybody.
  • dalbers
    Options
    Yep, the naturalpathic doctor (who usually sells tea) is saying drink tea with our meals, not water, not milk.

Color me shocked.

Sorry to sound sarcastic. I do not mean to be rude, but this psuedo science of naturalpathic medicine is always coming up with this stuff without a shred of study beyond patients who report anecdotal findings.
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options

So, you disagree... no need to be condescending. We are all trying to grow and improve. Let's try to stay positive, even when we disagree, and not be sarcastic with one another.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

So, you disagree... no need to be condescending. We are all trying to grow and improve. Let's try to stay positive, even when we disagree, and not be sarcastic with one another.

Agreed.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sorry but it is not true, drinking water with or after your meals (or any other liquid for that matter) makes no difference on your digestion.

Read below a comment form a MD from the Mayo Clinic.

So, last time I posted something from the Mayo Clinic I got lambasted because they are just a "tool' of the government and they don't provide objective information, only what lobbyists and big pharma want you to think. Seriously. But kudos to you for posting this, I totally agree.
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Totally agree...when I was a kid, my mom used to scold me if she caught me drinking water during dinner. She used to allow me to drink water only 1/2 hour after dinner.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    See, I think it's best to drink water with your meal because you won't eat as much as the water will help to fill you up as well. *shrug*
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    See, I think it's best to drink water with your meal because you won't eat as much as the water will help to fill you up as well. *shrug*

And I think it is best to drink it before you eat so that your stomach is already feeling full when you sit down to eat. LOL

I will say that I lost 74lbs within a years time. I DID NOT drink during meals because of the information the OP posted was given to me by a nutrionist.... I drank 20 minutes before a meal and my stomach would already feel pleasantly "full" so my portions that I put on my plate were smaller.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options

You posted the opinion of one "doctor" from the internet. That doesn't really constitute as evidence to debunk a theory and it definitely doesn't justify you attitude to the OP.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti without red wine?!? *shudder*
  • stinastudios
    stinastudios Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I grew up drinking water with my meals, and before my meals, and after my meals. No bad digestion from that. Bad digestion from the crap I ate WITH the water? Yeah, that's why I'm here. I think it's silly to say that there's any time you should not drink liquids at all. Just MHO.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If this isn't junk science then it only really applies to people that have digestive problems.

I've never had digestive problems and I almost always drink something when I eat.