New to weight loss

Options
Hi,

I am new to weight loss. I have been always a lean person, never had to worry about what I am eating and how much I am exercising. Though I always loved yoga aerobics and dancing. Never liked going to gym. If I go there I end up doing cardio only.
Now for last couple of months I had to work from home, so my activity level went really down. I remain at home whole day, sitting working on my laptop and eating to overcome loneliness without realizing what I was doing. Now sadly I have gained weight around tummy and butts. I feel so bad looking at myself in the mirror.

I have controlled some of my over eating. But I have no idea what else I can do. I try to follow some of excercise youtube videos 3-4 times a week 30-40 mins, but I am not sure if thats helping me. Today going through some of the posts on this forum, they say only cardio will not help. Please let me know what else should I be doing.

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Exercise alone won't make you lose weight - eating at a calorie deficit will. You need to eat less than your body burns.
    Start by reading the stickies at the top of the Getting Started forum - you will get a lot of great information there.
    Good luck!
  • meenumeenu4
    meenumeenu4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tubbs, I will read all of them !
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 20% excersise and 80% what you eat. The 20% excersise just gives you a little room for a few more calories. The bottom line is calorie deflict is the only thing that works
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Today going through some of the posts on this forum, they say only cardio will not help. Please let me know what else should I be doing.

Frankly, that's BS.

To lose weight, you must eat fewer calories than you use = a deficit.

If you use a few more calories tomorrow by doing cardio, but eat the same as today, you've just created a deficit without changing your eating habits.

Of course improving your eating habits is a good thing. And, for many people, doing some cardio is also a good thing.

Do both.

You'll lose weight and bonus: you'll improve your fitness as well.

Should you do other things? Sure, there are many benefits to be obtained by doing strength training and other fitness routines. But don't accept that cardio has no place in a get-fit, lose-weight, program.
  • belleightyseven
    belleightyseven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have always been able to eat what I want an stay skinny but I have always had a tummy and this past year I have really noticed it and I have been gaining weight now and it's starting to affect my self esteem. Add me and we can do this together! I am brand new to this as well. All the best!
  • belleightyseven
    belleightyseven Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Exercise alone won't make you lose weight - eating at a calorie deficit will. You need to eat less than your body burns.
    Start by reading the stickies at the top of the Getting Started forum - you will get a lot of great information there.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the tip also!!
  • meenumeenu4
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.. I hope i will be able to achieve it following these advice.
  • meenumeenu4
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I have always been able to eat what I want an stay skinny but I have always had a tummy and this past year I have really noticed it and I have been gaining weight now and it's starting to affect my self esteem. Add me and we can do this together! I am brand new to this as well. All the best!

I have added you. Let's do it together.