Cycling And Overweight?

Options
I've been cycling for around 4 years but have never gotten faster or more mileage in that about two hours worth. It took me a month just to get around the block. It's frustrating that all my online friends who start out are doing 20+ miles in several weeks. The most I've ever done is 30.

I started doing MMF a month ago and have lost 2 pounds. Probably more since I don't own a scale. The goal is to get to 175. My sister wants to do a ride in August that covers up to 100 miles depending on what you choose to do. I've told her the most I could do is 25 and she agreed.

A friend this year suggested I get a HRM. What I'm finding is that I ride even at 10mph at a HR of 170-180 even up to 190 on hills with 70 cadence. No wonder I'm dying by the side of the road while everyone else passes by. Is this a normal thing of being overweight? Or is it a heart issue? Lung issue?

The HRM has actually be a godsend so I don't overdo it on a bike and while I'm not faster, I'm not crawling in nearly dead because I've been at anaerobic levels the entire ride. Well, the outside rides are always anaerobic regardless, but the inside trainer rides I can control.

I've had blood tests done for all kinds of things and the only thing that came up are low thyroid levels. I started taking medication in Jan. I'm good except for the weight. I just want to be able to ride for several hours, get some miles in..30 or so and enjoy the day with my sister w/o being sick.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor about a fitness test
  • kxforg
    kxforg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike do you have and how is it geared? That is a more important question than you might expect because it can totally make a difference in how you are riding and how much effort you are putting in.

I ride a bike geared for my style of cadence riding. (I tend to ride a 85 to 100 plus cadence) Basically when I ride I am not struggling to push hard on the pedals but my feet spin faster and that keeps my speed up. If you are killing your legs, bouncing back and forth to help you push you probably have a gearing issue.

Next have you been to a good local bike shop and had your bike properly fitted to you. Again this can make a world of difference in your comfort and abilities. My first bike was too small for me when I began to seriously ride and I didn't take the time to get it customized for me. My next bike was much better and I got a proper fit at an amazing bike shop. They helped with the handle bar height, brake placement, seat height, seat placement front to back, a great seat (super comfy) and even the types of pedals I was using.

It may not seem like it but really looking into these things will make a world of difference in how much fun you have when riding. Please take the time and the bit of money it will take to get your bike fitted to you and then talk to them about your gearing I promise it will make a difference like you would not believe.

Now, if your bike fitted properly, do you have sports induced asthma? I suffer from that and have to take care to get in a great, extended warm up where I get my lungs going. I find it takes me a few miles to get past the initial issue and then I'm all good and no problems at all.
  • BethanyFrerichs
    BethanyFrerichs Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a Ridley X-BOW, a cyclocross bike that I bought a year or so ago. Guy was super great and while not an official fit, we set up everything. I live in a rural hilly area and a basic road bike isn't geared for hills. I also ride rural gravel roads and didn't want to deal with flat tires that my previous road bike had.

Ridley only has 2 rings up front, 36? 45? Bike is downstairs on the trainer. I had to sell my fat bike last year, which was heavier, but had mountain bike gearing. Fat bike was a size too big but the price was so great I bought it anyway thinking I could make it fit. I understand bike fit completely with a bike too big. Add fat bike "big" in as well and it was never truly comfortable. Awesome bike though. We tore up a lot of roads and trails for two years.

Love my Ridley. Put a new saddle on last week, a Brooks, and that has made a huge difference in comfort. I had to readjust everything since Brooks saddles don't have long rails.

Last summer I was in a lot of upper left shoulder/arm pain and quit riding. Add in road construction and it wasn't safe to ride. This spring I was feeling better after being sick in December, cleaned her up and while putting new bar tape on, realized my handlebars were off center and weren't level. I crashed the 2nd day I had the bike and went down a ravine with the left bar/hood digging into my ribs. I thought the guys had fixed the bike when I brought it in but they must not have checked the bars. It never occurred to me that the bars were off. I'd gone the entire summer with shoulder/arm pain because of it. Duh.

I had a bike fit done a couple of years ago with another bike, pulled out the paperwork and set up the bike with the numbers and have adjusted from there. Did a YouTube search for aligning the hoods correctly and all physical pain is gone. I realized part of the breathing problem was being too low down as the extra weight around my stomach was being shoved upwards. I bought an adjustable stem and raised the bars up making me more upright. Huge difference in breathing ability so I'm not dying for oxygen anymore.

I'd rather be mountain biking, but money is tight and some hospital bills came up after being sick in December so I'm out of a bike this year. Wishing I could go and take on some new/old trails, but road will have to do. Maybe next year.

I figured losing some weight would help, and it has. Having to adjust my HR strap nearly an inch was a breakthrough day.