Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ladies, what was your period like after weight loss?

I started menstruating again this week after missing it for 4 months. The flow has been on and off this week, and ranged from a deep brown color to a bright red.

I've lost 33 pounds so far. My period was not this long and varied before the weight loss.

What have your experiences been when your period came back after a hiatus? How long did it last when it first came back? I want to make sure this is normal. Thanx!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    my changed up a bit too. but for the most part i think it'll even out after a while. when you lose weight or change your body your hormones change too..it'll take a while to get used to the new you. if it doesnt even out after a few months see your doctor.
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    I lost 60lb in 14 months and mine was regular the entire time, I wonder if everyone's body is different though? Also taking into consideration that my loss was very slow.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Mine's been wonky. I start spotting 4 days before TOM officially starts now. I have noticed that it's gotten lighter overall though.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    You are really young to be having that kind of trouble. If you haven't seen a GYN yet, go!
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    I have a few days of spotting before I start. I never had that until I hit probably the 55-60 pound mark with weight loss. I also started spotting around ovulation, too. I brought it up to my doc, but he brushed it off.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Mine has remained stable and steady, every 27-29 days for 4-5 days like clockwork. I have only ever missed two in the 15 years I've been getting them, though, and my weight loss has been very gradual. You should probably discuss with your GYN just to be sure there isn't another underlying issue (e.g. polyps, ovarian cysts, etc.)
  • Mine gets a bit wonky when I get down in the lower end of the healthy weight range for my height. I actually have to re-gain to a BMI of around 21.0 whenever I want to get pregnant.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Mine's been wonky. I start spotting 4 days before TOM officially starts now. I have noticed that it's gotten lighter overall though.

Same here! I now spot for several days before it really starts and then it is much much lighter than before. Which is a HUGE blessing becasuse it was really beyond awful before. I hope that it stays this way and doesn't go back to "my normal" once my weightloss ends... I can actually live a regular life now during TOM instead of being under house arrest during it.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    I've only lost 15 pounds but I've observed heavy spotting when off my cycle when doing intensive cardio. I gradually reduced my cardio and haven't had issues with it since.
  • 54fevers
    54fevers Posts: 22 Member
    I've noticed that my periods are a little bit lighter and shorter since I've lost 17 pounds.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    I echo the other ladies suggesting a GYN visit. A four month hiatus sounds like cause for further investigation.

My periods were awesome when I was heavier - no cramps, light flow, only three days. I guess that was the only benefit? No idea why, though.
  • fallon144
    fallon144 Posts: 40
    Thanx for all the help ladies! I just stopped bleeding after a month. My GYN said it was all the lining shedding since I hadn't had a period in four months.

It was a loooong month!