Salads

Options
memedwil
memedwil Posts: 2 Member
hey guys, I'm away on holiday and have been trying hard to keep to eating healthy. I have been eating mostly salads for my dinner. But I'm worried that the calories are just as high as any meal :/ I don't have any dressing on them but I do order cheese salad so a lot off cheese!! Help anyone am I better off ordering something like egg salads?

Replies

• Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting the salads from? Most packaged stuff you can bar code scan it and it'll already be in the diary journal to calculate calories. You have to calculate the calories to know where you're at so you can stay in a deficit to lose weight. I mean it'd have to be a lot of cheese but yes eggs would be a better option or chicken breast (non breaded) mainly because of the protein content since lettuce isn't much nutrition value unless it's a spinach or kale salad. You don't have to just be eating salads because "that's what people do when they diet", if it works for you great but you will get tired of it everyday haha since I've done it myself :) just stick to lean meats, veggies, little fruit, nuts/seeds/beans and healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil while staying in a deficit and you'll be good, keep it simple :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My holiday and Christmas are the 2 times a year that I don't care what I eat. As long as I get straight back to it it doesn't matter. Enjoy your holiday instead of worrying :)
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have salads a few times a week, so I'm fairly sure of my quantities of protein. Egg is a better option than cheese as a 40 gram portion, a small matchbox size, is nearly 200 calories, so it's very easy to overdo the cheese. Fish is also a good add to salads as is avocado, and a few nuts, seeds. A spoonful of pasta and you have a good meal. I sometimes have chicken breast, wild meats like moose, ostrich or elk, all low in fat and nice with a salad. I have a love of hot meat on cold salad myself, it's the way I prefer it.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Could you not order a cheese salad, but something else instead? I don't know where you are on your holiday, but usually you'll be able to get something like a chicken, tuna or roasted veg salad.

What's best to order really depends on your goals. Need protein? Order grilled meat or fish with a side of veggies. Need carbs? Order a red sauce pasta or quinoa salad or so if they have it.