Hanging Belly fat, but never had a kid!

Options
aoime
aoime Posts: 25 Member
I gained over 35 lbs since June 2014 (so much in less than a year, I know!)

However before that, my belly was more of just a little pouch. Now with this weight gain, i have gained very noticeable stretch marks and my belly sticks out and hangs. I see lots of before photos of women who have already had children and realize that's what I look like now, even without ever gone through carrying a child for months!

I know I am not the only one with this issue, heck I know even males have this. I just get very discouraged when I see others in their before pictures who have a belly, but it's not hanging and they have no noticeable stretch marks. I know we all carry our weight differently, but instead of it motivating me to get healthier, it actually makes me feel more discouraged. I don't even feel like showing my progress pics because of the fat hanging.

For those who have had this issue, at what point did you just accept that your belly was going to do it's thing, and how did you manage to not feel discouraged even if it appeared like there was no progress when it came to your hanging belly fat?

(Also no disrespect to the awesome mommies out there with my comment, just as someone who has never had a kid, I find a lot of before pictures with women who have similar belly to mine now, only to find out they gained that weight and stretch marks from having a couple of kids.)

Replies

• kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've not had kids either, it's not just you! I'm in the middle of working on the hanging belly (my exoerimant this year.) but I dint let it bother me too much! I focus in all the bits I'm happy with, arms, legs, slowly my upper stomach...

Don't let one trouble spot hold you back!

Stretch marks- a moisturiser before the right tan helps (some tans make it worse others better.)

As to the belly hanging shape - I discovered a miracle to sort of squish it in flat... tight yoga pants made of stiff material are the best, and light control shape wear/bikinis and tankinis...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    It's all about body composition and fat distribution. When I was at my highest weight, my "fat apron" took 2 hands to move. I've lost roughly 40 pounds (with another 40+ to lose if I want to hit ideal weight). Now I only have a tiny bit of hanging fat. Since I have had a c section, I'll always have a bit of a tummy pooch, but that's ok.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Mine first appeared when I was around 145 pounds at 5'7, before I had kids. It didn't bother me then because it was not noticeable with any kind of covering. I am assuming that if it never disappears, I can at least get back to how it was in the beginning and it won't be a problem.
    It doesn't discourage me but I understand your concern.
    Best!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Genetics rule here. For some it happens, for some not.

As for discouragement, accepting the truth sometimes helps. It's happened. Stretch marks aren't going to go away, and continued habits won't help you lose weight or reduce body fat. So you're in control here. You just need to make the decision if it's something you really want, make a solid plan of action, and then COMMIT to it. If not, you'll be singing the same sad song the rest of your life and you don't get to get time back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png