over my sugar goal and i only had breakfast!!???

JessesGirl05
JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
How do you all stay under your sugar goal?! I had special k cereal this morning (dry, no milk) a yogurt, and green tea with a tad of honey in it (which im realizing now, it doesnt make much of a difference, and if the tea is HOT i cant tell the difference) and i'm already over my sugar goal! It seems like no matter what I eat, I go over on sugar!

HELP!

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Ditch the honey and try liquid Stevia.... that might help.
  • Terry5902
    Terry5902 Posts: 7
    I eat a lot of sugar free items. A lot of the items are not that bad without sugar in them. I have a sugar free jello parfait that I have with my lunch or for a snack that is really good. This is just a suggestion.
  • dee_sea_tea
    dee_sea_tea Posts: 12 Member
    A lot of "light" yogurts are loaded with sugar to compensate for the removed fat, you're better off to go with greek yogurt, also maybe skip the special k and focus on a more complete cereal like bran flakes, read the labels as you shop, you'd be surprised how many items have hidden sugar in them.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Maybe adjust your thinking and look at total carbs rather than sugar on its own. Works for me, I'm hardly ever over my total carbs.
  • bigdog101
    bigdog101 Posts: 1 Member
    How low is your sugar goal?
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Honey, Milk, Yogurt, and Cereal (most of the time) have a ton of sugar in them. I try to stay under my sugar, check out my diary if you would like. I try to eat somewhat unprocessed foods...too many foods have added sugar. Yogurt was my killer. I changed to Fiber one yogurt just because it had less. And I also drink either small portions of milk or almond milk. I don't eat cereal anymore, usually a 100% whole wheat bagel thin with spray butter and cinnamon. GOOD LUCK!
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    if you exercise more you are allotted more sugar. that helps me.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    I'm over my sugar goal as well, as of 11AM this morning. My sugar goal says 24g (without exercise)

How much is yours? Its really hard to stay under. Honestly though if I have 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day (like an apple/banana & kiwi) I ignore it because its completely natural. Not sure if thats good to do though :/
  • Read your special k box. The ingredients are in volume order, how high up is sugar? third? fouth? And how many times is it repeated inside other ingredients? Special k is a big fatty fattening lie (I'm sorry).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    I don't eat cold cereal or yogurt. Most are loaded with sugar. There are 4.2 grams of sugar in one teaspoon, so when you look at most cold cereals and yogurts, they contain 4-5+ teaspoons of sugar in a single serving! I eat old-fashioned oatmeal with either blueberries or apples which contain natural sugar. I don't worry too much about whole foods that contain natural sugar (fruit, milk) as long as it doesn't exceed 2-3 servings per day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Special K is insanely high in sugar and salt. I prefer Dorset Cereals version which tastes very similar but much less sugar and no salt.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    I know some people are fanatical about "all sugar is bad". Maybe so, maybe not. Try to make a distinction between naturally occurring sugar and "added sugar". Most yogurt has lots of added sugar, unless you're eating plain or artificially sweetened yogurt.
  • JessesGirl05
    Ditch the honey and try liquid Stevia.... that might help.
    It isn't just the honey. Like I said, it happens so matter what i eat. yesterday was my first day drinking green tea. but it sure wasnt my first day going over on sugar
  • JessesGirl05
    How low is your sugar goal?
  • JessesGirl05
    I honestly thought yogurt and special k was good for you!

UGH!
    thanks everyone. I'll look through other peoples food diaries and get some ideas and start making a grocery list so I have time to actually plan it out and not just go shopping, getting what I THINK is healthy.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    I used to think so too, it's ok. Just take a look at the label. I try not to go over 7g/serving and try to get whole wheat whenever possible. I eat fruit just try to stay away from extra sugary ones like watermelon and bananas (just in moderation) :)
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    If it makes you feel any better this has been a recurring issue that really hasn't seen any resolution. I am also contastly over on sugars/ proteins/ fats and usually no where near my calorie goals. Balance is hard and I think balancing sugar is the hardest. I eat a lot of fruits and they tend to put me way over my sugars, expecially since a single pear seems to have 15 grams of sugar (almost half my daily sugar).
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    im always over my sugar, but normally its because of fruit.. so i feel better about it.. except today i had a donut LOL
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    I didnt pay attention or care one bit about how much sugar i took in while i was losing weight. I ate 2-3 times more sugar then my goal for the day every day and i lost 10 lbs easily. to me sugar means nothing especially since the sugar i eat are all natural sugars (fruits), and some from a bowl of cereal every morning. just because somthing might be high in sugar doesnt mean its unhealthy. special k is fine for you to eat dont let someone else say its not.
  • I don't worry about my sugar either - as long as it's not coming from cookies, candy, pastries, cake . . . you get the picture. I think 2-3 helpings of fruit a day is fine. This is the first time I've ever tracked anything other than calories - I'm fine on carbs, fats, sodium, as long as I stay below my calories I'm not going to worry too much about the sugar.
This discussion has been closed.