How long have you been working out?

Options
jesse1952
jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
I started at around age 18 and am still actively working out at age 62.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I started at 19 and still currently at 51. Of course not as strong, but my body has retained most of my muscle and leaness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Thirty years, but admittedly on and off throughout, as life goes sometimes.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've been working out consistently for 3 years now.

Back in the 90's I used to take step aerobics in university which I loved, but I was never consistent.

About 4 months into my journey I discovered a muscle pump type class at a community centre with an awesome instructor. I fell in love with being active ever since.

Now in my late 30's I'm in the best physical condition ever and the smallest I've ever been as adult.

It's never too late to start working out.

(After I type this I'm about to go get in 4 miles then some bodyweight exercises to start my Saturday). :)

• North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sporadically since college- consistently since 2010. I'm 49.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    tehnically started when i was about 15 doing at home workouts and occasional jogs. I started being consitent and going to the gym at 18 and im 19 now lol.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Most of my life... I played tennis in my younger days and now I lift and stuff.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Two weeks. Yup.
  • Missinfluence
    Missinfluence Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Two weeks. Yup.
    *high five * you have to start some where ...everyone was as 2 weeks ...or haven't even made 2 weeks yet !
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    about 100 days now. I would expect that the first 1 to 2 years would be the most exciting, because that's when you see the biggest change. Looking forward to it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Almost 40 days.....became addicted right away.
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Jesse,

Quick question for you on the long term working out....great job btw!

I used to run a ton and swim a ton and it did nothing for me on the weight loss. Diet is where it is at, I am completely convinced...

Now, I eliminated the running and only swim a mile 3x per week. I love swimming, it is the only exercise that I look forward to. I think I could easily spend years doing that routine, but adding running or other stuff feels like work to me.

Question:
    Since you have done a great job of exercising for so long are you only doing an exercise you completely enjoy and look forward to or are you tossing in stuff you don't like? I am curious how you have been so diligent if you are tossing in stuff you don't like to do.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Six months ago, I started running regularly and later on added at home cardio/strength workouts 1-2 a week.
  • ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    8 months ago. I'm at my goal weight, and can't imagine not exercising. I go every morning from 5:30-6:45am except Sundays. I eat 1200 to 1500 cal.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Started walking as I began transitioning into maintenance, in 2013. Go through phases of walking (usually in the summer months, but so far this year I'm just not feeling it). I started doing body-weight strength training also in 2013, and do this on and off as well. Right now I'm doing a second round of a 100 push-ups challenge.

I keep things pretty low key-not big on the whole intentional exercise thing, but I have become more active since I've lost the weight.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty active most of my life. Always mixing it up with different activities though.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Ballerina as a child, tennis/soccer in high school, started at 24 hour fitness probably around 16, never stopped from there, added in lots of hiking as an adult, still going 5 days a week at 27.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This most recent bout has lasted about 8 months. I started running September 30, 2014.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Doing sports in high school and always living on a bicycle versus a Nintendo game and have been added ever sense going on nearly 30 years
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I was really active until my early thirties when I started having problems with arthritis. I was basically a couch potato until I turned 45 and realized I needed to start moving more. At 49 I've only gotten progressively more active since then.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    91 days consistently working out 5-6 days a week. Before that I hadn't done much of anything for about 5 months, and before that I would work out 3 days a week, which I did for about a year and a half, maybe more.