More Potassium

Options
I've been using Mt Fitness Pal for 5 months and just met my weight loss goal but I NEVER come even close to meeting the potassium goal. Any ideas for adding potassium. I already eat on average 4-5 fruit and vegetable servings a day.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    The issue with potassium is that it is in many foods but not listed on the nutrition data. Chances are you eat enough potassium; it just doesn't show up that way.
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoe, kale, spinach, banana, plain yogurt. I used to really stay away from the potatoes/root vegies until I recently learned how the body metabolizes them. Now I eat more of them. I'll clobber me a sweet potatoe with a few tsp of extra virgin olive oil and a little salt/pepper.

The potatoes or starches are just long chains of glucose so you avoid eating the fructose which is a mini-enemy for someone trying to lose weight. The body will use much of the glucose before it hits the liver unlike fructose or lactose. I'd mix up several of the items above so you get as much color in your diet as you can....polyphenols.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I too wondered that, I googled it and there are lists of foods that have potassium, most of the foods I eat daily have potassium, it just isn't listed on the nutrition labels. They say if your eating a balanced diet your likely getting enough potassium.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

I was dealing with that too....this is something I posted about a month ago....lots of good replies you may want to read through and see if it helps answer questions.....

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10139810/low-potassium-levels#latest
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Potassium has not been required on nutrition labels so many, in fact most, don't have it even when a food is high in potassium. in other words, the number you see here on MFP in your nutrition info is useless. This data is a great example of garbage in garbage out. If you are really concerned get a blood test, but I would say unless you have a diagnosed potassium deficiency just ignore that information.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Potassium has not been required on nutrition labels so many, in fact most, don't have it even when a food is high in potassium. in other words, the number you see here on MFP in your nutrition info is useless. This data is a great example of garbage in garbage out. If you are really concerned get a blood test, but I would say unless you have a diagnosed potassium deficiency just ignore that information.

Exactly. Check out spaghetti sauce - it's almost 100% tomatoes, which are super rich in potassium..and there is no potassium on the label for many brands.

Some yogurts list potassium, like Stonyfield Farms. Most however, do not - that doesn't mean they don't have it.

Even some bags of potatoes - another rich source of potassium - have none listed! LOL

Even coffee has a decent amount of potassium...a little over 100 grams per cup. When you drink the amount of coffee I do (usually at least 4 cups a day, sometimes 5) it does add up!
  • cherylann141
    cherylann141 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Very helpful.
  • southeRNurse2016
    southeRNurse2016 Posts: 20 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    From my nursing school nutrition book:
    Oranges, dried fruits, tomatoes, avocados, dried peas, meats, broccoli, and bananas are all fine sources for potassium.

I put calcium at first. Oops!