No weightloss on scale yet clothes are looser?

Options
I have been stuck going back and forth 197 and 200 ..for the last two months ..currently I'm 197.
I did the 30 day Shred no weight loss on scale andI have been jogging for a week .

Although the scale doesn't show change..I can tell my body is changing . My clothes fit much better and I am firmer.

So what's the deal with our bodies ?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It might be time to re-assess you're calories, your workout, whether or not you're eating back your exercise calories, etc.

You see -- our bodies get used to something when we do it for a long time. When this happens, we have to do SOMETHING to shock it into losing weight again. It's grown comfortable with what you've been doing, has adjusted to the calories you're taking in and to the exercise you're doing -- so it stops losing weight. It's possible that you're losing inches and the scale will eventually catch up.

Try changing your calories for a few days or change up your workout to see if that gets the scale moving again.

Also, are you eating enough? You have to eat enough to lose weight.
  • familyfound
    familyfound Posts: 16
    Options
    I have been floating up and down between the same weight. I am almost finished the 30 day shred. I am glad I took measurements. I am already down 2 1/2 inches in my waist.

I would say you are building muscle and losing inches instead. If you keep at it, that scale will eventually start coming down!
  • Tamjean
    Tamjean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle. Muscle can weigh 3x more than fat. Dont get discouraged by the scale, try to just go by how you feel. Exercise is important, but focus on your diet too.

Good luck to you! :)
  • cindymilner
    Options
    Muscle wt. is heavier that fat - so my guess with your exercise you are building muscle - which is good! More muscle, the higher your BMR will be- and u will burn more fat while at rest.

CONGRATS!
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle. Muscle can weigh 3x more than fat. Dont get discouraged by the scale, try to just go by how you feel. Exercise is important, but focus on your diet too.

Muscle and fat weight the same (sad but true myth), which is why you probably see inches lost but no actual weight on the scale.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck going back and forth 197 and 200 ..for the last two months ..currently I'm 197.
    I did the 30 day Shred no weight loss on scale andI have been jogging for a week .

Although the scale doesn't show change..I can tell my body is changing . My clothes fit much better and I am firmer.

So what's the deal with our bodies ?

i am right there with you, i could have very much written this post.
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    Judge by your clothes and not the scale. And mixing up what you have been doing can and will shock your body. I went through a pretty rough plateau and did not adjust my eating habits much, but started doing very different workouts. Heavy weights before my cardio workouts and started doing cardio I had not been doing before. I saw a significant weight loss about 2 weeks after I started to mix it up with my workouts. Good luck! You will get through this and see the pounds come off too!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I went through a very similar thing. I had actually lost 20 pounds on the scale and was down two pant sizes and even half a show size. Then I went to my doctor and learned I had gained 15!!! WTF!?!?!? But you know what, my clothes are not any tighter.

So why? Maybe a combo of things. TOM, steroids I'm on and some muscle weight gain, but all I know is that I do look and feel better. So while I do want to see those numbers drop, I know that I am heading in the right direction.

p.s.

My labs came back and everything is great!!!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with"Chevy88grl" It might be time to re-assess you're calories, your workout, whether or not you're eating back your exercise calories, etc

Fat and muscle pretty much do weight the same, and running isn't known for building muscle. It's know for one of the best way of losing weight and making muscles lean.

I would venture it is some where in your diet, which is usually the case. You have to eat more than 1200 calories a day and I would recomend good diet food, not Ice cream, junk food, processed foods. Fruit and plenty of water and absolutely NO POP.

Open up your food diary if you want some help and people's opinions.

A link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

A link about dieting
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Another link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/od/nutrition/Nutrition.htm

I use About.com a lot for research and Google is always a good source.

You can do it, just stay with it. Even when you get frustrated.

Good luck in reaching your goals!

Dustin
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree with"Chevy88grl" It might be time to re-assess you're calories, your workout, whether or not you're eating back your exercise calories, etc

Fat and muscle pretty much do weight the same, and running isn't known for building muscle. It's know for one of the best way of losing weight and making muscles lean.

I would venture it is some where in your diet, which is usually the case. You have to eat more than 1200 calories a day and I would recomend good diet food, not Ice cream, junk food, processed foods. Fruit and plenty of water and absolutely NO POP.

Open up your food diary if you want some help and people's opinions.

A link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

A link about dieting
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Another link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/od/nutrition/Nutrition.htm

I use About.com a lot for research and Google is always a good source.

You can do it, just stay with it. Even when you get frustrated.

Good luck in reaching your goals!

Dustin

Thank you everyone , I know I have tried to eat enough calories and not going over , I think there was a few weeks where the weekends are were bad :/

But I have changed that recently, no more eating out in restaurants and if i do it has to be a wise choice.

Dustin thank you for the info, I have open my diary ...maybe I'm eating too many carbs ? I try to do complex carbs.

if you get a chance tell me what you think.
  • heart_explodes
    heart_explodes Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Muscle and fat weight the same (sad but true myth), which is why you probably see inches lost but no actual weight on the scale.

I think a lot of people rely a lot on the whole muscle weighs more than fat myth (I know I've tried to convince myself it's true before!) - a kilo of fat is the same as a kilo of muscle - muscle just takes up less space! :)
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I think a lot of people rely a lot on the whole muscle weighs more than fat myth (I know I've tried to convince myself it's true before!) - a kilo of fat is the same as a kilo of muscle - muscle just takes up less space! :)

Muscles takes up less space...mmmmm
    maybe that's why i feel firmer...but i know i need to be more strict on my diet..no weekend sabotages. :)
  • heart_explodes
    heart_explodes Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Muscles takes up less space...mmmmm
    maybe that's why i feel firmer...but i know i need to be more strict on my diet..no weekend sabotages. :)

It would definitely explain why you're not seeing much movement on the scale but your clothes feel looser. Loosing inches but not loosing 'weight' per say :) It's a good thing! Embrace it!
  • drygravytrain
    drygravytrain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How do people rely on the muscle vs fat weight issue? I am curious on the thought process.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe the deal is with your scale. Have you tried weighing somewhere else?