The things we tell ourselves...

Options
I don't know if this will help anyone but I realised something about myself the other day that's already reaping huge rewards in my life, not just in sports. I'm training for a half-marathon that's now less than a month away and I've been struggling and doubting myself. On a recent run, I actually paid attention to my thoughts for the first time in ages and challenged them. Previously I've always said things to myself like, 'Wow, you're so slow. You might as well quit,' or, 'You're not doing that well. I don't think you'll be able to finish the half. You're going to fail and you'll come dead last and everyone will laugh at you and think you're crap,' and other mean thoughts revolving around body image and athletic ability (or lack of!) So on a recent run, I was challenging those thoughts and basically trying to shame them out of me and.... it worked! That nasty little voice became quieter and quieter and then shut up altogether. Do you think it's a coincidence that it ended up being my best run yet? That I was running an entire 1:00/km faster in pace than I was targeting? That it felt easy? That I did my fastest 5k of the season on that run and it was in *training* and not in a race? I don't. Mental baggage is heavy.

So I don't know if this will help anyone but if you're feeling down about your progress, maybe it's time to take a look at the things you say to yourself. Would you say those things to a friends or would it be too mean? If it's too mean, why do you say those things to yourself??!

Replies

• Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. This is so true! One very consistent thing I have found on MFP is how horribly hard people are on themselves. This is a mental game, we need to change our mindset to achieve our goals. This has been very challenging for me but I am making good progress. Learning to be as kind to myself as I am to others is going to be the key to my success. I am very happy for you. You have found a way to shut down that "nasty voice" Please add me as a friend if you are interested.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I completed c25k last year and the best thing I learned through that process was how much of a mental game running is. That's also why completing that program made me more confident in other areas of my life - I overcame bigger obstacles than my legs and lungs. Happy running - good luck with the half marathon!
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    catpea33, I love that line..."Mental baggage is heavy".
    I think I will post that somewhere where I can see it regularly!
    Thanks for the insight! B)