Do you count calories in vegetables or is there no point?

Options

Replies

• BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "free foods" or foods that don't count. All foods have calories. I log every thing I put into my mouth, veggies included. If you are truly looking to lose weight, you have to measure/weigh and log everything!
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't always log them, but if it's a new vegetable, or I'm tight on calories, I will.

If it's a Sunday roast I'll always weigh and log my roasties and parsnips, but don't often bother with carrots/leeks/cauli etc. because it's barely 30 calories per serving, and I usually end up with a LOT of extra calories from work anyway.
    But something like tomatoes, root veg or other higher calorie (for vegetables!!) things I will log, and I always log veg when I think I might go over my daily goal slightly.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, I absolutely count them.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I log everything including vegetables... But with vegetables I'm definitely more relaxed about weighing. I hardly ever weigh vegetables and I'm still losing so I'll take it.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I even logged the half of stalk of celery I mixed in my tuna. I do not however account for the pinch of dill I put in there. I leave 50 calories a day for sessions set aside.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and I'm baffled how other people don't. I eat 300-800 calories a day in vegetables so not counting them would wipe out my deficit.
  • K_saine
    K_saine Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I count them because they are still calories and even eating too many vegetables can cause weight gain
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and I'm baffled how other people don't. I eat 300-800 calories a day in vegetables so not counting them would wipe out my deficit.

Snap, they make up most of my diet!
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The only vegetables I don't weigh with the scale is the leafy greens I use for salad as a serving size is much less than the two big handfuls I eat. I still enter it in my diary as a single serving though.
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no clue how anyone can get an accurate calorie count without adding in veggies! Think slimming world and ww are to blame for people thinking them as free...

Saying this I admit I can't be bothered to weigh iceburg lettuce and I eyeball my cucumber mostly.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mhm, I sure do. Not only do I count the calories, I make sure I *weigh* the vegetables, including onion and garlic for cooking. If you’re eating big servings of veggies twice a day, that’s about 100+ calories (e.g. 400g broccoli, which I’ve been known to do). Over a week, it’s 700+ calories. Over a month, 2800+. You need a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound. So yes, I account for veggies.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    When I did WW, where non-starchy veggies are zero points, no I didn't count them. Because when WW assigns you your daily points total, they take into account that you're going to be eating those "free" veggies and then assign you fewer points to compensate for that.

MFP doesn't account for "free" foods when it assigns you your daily calories. So yes, on MFP, I count them.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it has calories, no matter how few, i count it.
  • Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I usually do.

Sometimes I'll be having cucumber knowing it's the last thing I'm gonna eat and if I still have over 100 calories left I won't bother.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I count veggies but don't bother with cucumber, celery and lettuce...!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    All calories count. No matter if they come from vegetables or pizza or ice cream. Some veggies are higher calorie than you might think.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I did WW both before and after the free veggie thing was started and it wasn't a problem either way- I kept losing weight just fine. That was a few years ago.

On MFP I count them because I like to track my macros and micros.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I eat WAY too many veggies to not count them
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I count all foods, as they all have calories. However, I look at the carb count more.