How many calories?

Options
I'm struggling to figure out how many calories I should be on. I've been on 1200 since Jan to get down to my goal weight. Which worked out very well. I never starved myself or felt ill. I'm 5 ft 4 and female. Recently been told it was too less and I should be on more (don't need to be told this now as I know now) but now I need to be careful I don't put weight on as the dress for the wedding is made and fits gorgeous. I never dreamt i could ever look like i do now and in my dream dress. With 5 weeks to go till the wedding I'm looking for advice on how to maintain from people who have managed it themselves xxx

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    There has to be information on the best way to figure out your maintenance calories...can you just add in 100 a day and try it for a week at a time to see how it works? This week go to 1300, if you maintain...you're good. If you lose, maybe up it again. If you gain...drop it by 50 a day. I know it's not an exact science but it makes sense in my brain that way! congrats on hitting your goal!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How fast have you recently been losing weight on 1200 a day? That will give you an idea how much of a deficit you currently have.
    Zero point comparing yourself to other people as you may be more/less active, more/less accurate in your logging etc. etc.

Just walking up your calories over a period of weeks is the easiest way to find maintenance calories.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    How fast have you recently been losing weight on 1200 a day? That will give you an idea how much of a deficit you currently have.
    Zero point comparing yourself to other people as you may be more/less active, more/less accurate in your logging etc. etc.

Just walking up your calories over a period of weeks is the easiest way to find maintenance calories.

Great advice. I too have been investigating this as I am close to goal and scared to gain. Blessings.
  • deniztuzu2
    deniztuzu2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have ben losing your weight since Jan, then for the duration of 4 months your loss rate is 6 lbs a month, which puts you at 700-750 deficit, meaning your maintenance calories shold be around 1900 calories.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I know some people don't like to go by TDEE calculators - but i used this one to calculate my maintainance cals.
    It seems pretty accurate (well in my case).
    http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr
  • lindzmo30
    lindzmo30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    There has to be information on the best way to figure out your maintenance calories...can you just add in 100 a day and try it for a week at a time to see how it works? This week go to 1300, if you maintain...you're good. If you lose, maybe up it again. If you gain...drop it by 50 a day. I know it's not an exact science but it makes sense in my brain that way! congrats on hitting your goal!

This may work rather than adding loads of calories straight away. Thanks.
  • lindzmo30
    lindzmo30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    deniztuzu2 wrote: »
    If you have ben losing your weight since Jan, then for the duration of 4 months your loss rate is 6 lbs a month, which puts you at 700-750 deficit, meaning your maintenance calories shold be around 1900 calories.[/quote

This is very helpful. Thanks for your advice x