Asthmatic and weight loss

Options
I am a asthmatic and I'm going on a diet to lose weight and I was wondering if anyone had any thing to help like eating exercises anything like that

Replies

• arobrtsn
    arobrtsn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walking. As much leisure walking as you possibly can.
    You wouldn't believe how much it can add up.
    Also, if you use an inhaled steroid, you can look for info on those specifically.
    I only have exercise induced asthma , so that's all the tips I've got. Good luck!
  • Magseye
    Magseye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Asthma can be overcome! Even with chronic asthma (LABA/inhaled corticosteroids daily), I walked off nearly 70lbs in less than a year. Re-injuring myself while trying to jog knocked me back and it has been a slow return to fit living, but the effort is well worth it. I learned to choose activities wisely and trust my peak flow meter when I felt "tight". I also made sure to get clearance from my physician regarding acceptable activities.
    I may never be a jogger/runner, but I will one day achieve my fitness goals. I do strength training with free weights, recumbent bicycling (on rainy days!) and Turbo Jam (love Chalene!). Whatever you find fun...do it.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese proverb :)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you have a resuce inhaler, which I'm sure you do, take it 10min prior to exercise to prevent exercise asthma attacks.
  • alyxls
    alyxls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    See your doctor before you start an exercise program!!!!! Be sure you tell them how active you're going to be and exercises you're planning to do. Asthma is definitely something you can control and be active but make sure you have safety measures in place before exercising!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I use my albuterol inhaler about 10 minutes prior to exercise then one more puff just before entering the gym. I workout 6 days a week and only have problems about once a month. You can learn to control your asthma. I started running about 3 months ago and am up to about 25 minutes at 5mph. For me that is lighting speed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. It really depends on what triggers your asthma and how well it's controlled too. I have asthma, actually spent a week hospitalized because of it 3 years ago... still lost 80 pounds and exercise all the time.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken asthma meds in 6 months ...just start moving, take your reliever with you ...the lighter and fitter you get, the better