Friend a stranger from a strange land?

Options
Hi all...
So. I'm from Finland. Let that not discourage you. We're not the scary vikings, we're their forest-dwelling neighbors.
I'm a mom, I'm a (folk)metalhead, I'm a horseback rider. I dance and play computer games.
I'm overweight, but that's about to change. I started from 232lbs/105.5kg in March, now down to 210lbs/95kg. Goal for now is 165lbs/75kg, since I'm 5'6ft/168cm tall. I'm doing low carb/keto, and it's mostly going great.
I'm introverted. I don't really have friends in real life, and I don't really want any. But I love words! I love reading other peoples thoughts online, I love the warmth and support on this message board. Sometimes we all just need someone else to say the things we already know.
Let's be friends? For those days when everything feels too hard, and also those when you're bursting to tell someone how good you feel?

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    <-- Also not a scary Viking, or a Norman!
    Good luck with your journey, you'll get there.
    Feel free to add me if you want to, I'm also introverted and express myself far better through the written word.
  • youtastelike
    youtastelike Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know you're not a viking, I know how it's with being introverted, and I'm a metalhead too :) I like finnish people, fortunately I've already met with guys from Finland. There are a lot of similarity in the way of thinking and behaviour between hungarian and finnish people. Regarding fitness: now I'm 170 cm/71 kg now and I exercise almost every day (30-90 mins) so similar to you! I'll add you friend if you don't mind!
  • BananaAssassin
    BananaAssassin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We have the same current weight and same goal weight. Feel free to add me.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Hi my offline friends have not been encouraging.. i love the positive results people post here which is a great inspiration. Feel free to add this friend from India
  • DawnVaderaa
    DawnVaderaa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sent you a request. I am a non celtic looking celt from Ireland !! Not doing keto though - I'm going to Italy in a few weeks and that would only be setting myself up for failure !
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    i am only lookig to add vikings, today. sorry.

;)
  • Deputymax
    Deputymax Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Add me! I love meeting people from other countries, especially dancing, horseback riding metalheads!
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    HannaSusi wrote: »
    Hi all...
    So. I'm from Finland. Let that not discourage you. We're not the scary vikings, we're their forest-dwelling neighbors.

Love it!

• mohamedzahw
    mohamedzahw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If i remember correctly . they used Finnish
    languge as the elf lanlanguage in the lord of the rings movies . not sure about it though : )
    Any way. Here is an Egyptian with no pharaoh ancestors at all !! I started my weight loss journey about 6 months ago at 121kg and now i am 98kgs / 217lbs
  • seantheking87
    seantheking87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm from Scotland, have family who live kinda near Finland (Norwegians). Strangely enough I get called a Viking a lot, though I am 6'3 with long blondish hair and a beard so I cant really complain :P always looking for new MFP friends so feel free to give me an add.
  • HannaSusi
    HannaSusi Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    If i remember correctly . they used Finnish
    languge as the elf lanlanguage in the lord of the rings movies . not sure about it though : )

It wasn't really finnish per se, but I heard finnish was used as a base. I don't understand it at all though, so maybe they used some structures of it, I donno :)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    What a diverse group! I'm american (with of course, European ancestry). I wonder, in other countries, do you identify yourselves as a person of that ancestry too? Or do you often find influences of past heratige? In the US so many of us still identify ourselves as German, or Irish ect. Not ever as Americans. We are generations removed from where ever our ancestors came. I don't know why. I suppose if i, of German descent, ever found myself in Germany, I'd surely identify as American. But why in America, do I hold on to my heritage? (As it seems most of us do).

Its like Americans are lost of their belonging. Is it like that elsewhere?
  • HannaSusi
    Options
    P/s, I'm Chinese from Malaysia :)

My sister in law is chinese :) hi, new friend!

• HannaSusi
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    What a diverse group! I'm american (with of course, European ancestry). I wonder, in other countries, do you identify yourselves as a person of that ancestry too? Or do you often find influences of past heratige? In the US so many of us still identify ourselves as German, or Irish ect. Not ever as Americans. We are generations removed from where ever our ancestors came. I don't know why. I suppose if i, of German descent, ever found myself in Germany, I'd surely identify as American. But why in America, do I hold on to my heritage? (As it seems most of us do).

Its like Americans are lost of their belonging. Is it like that elsewhere?

That's a very good question. I love thinking about my ancestors, and I'm very interested in early middle ages/viking era to middle-medieval era. I identify myself strongly as a Finn, but also as north european. My family has always been finnish (we used to "belong" to Sweden a couple of hundred years ago, so many finns have also swedish heritage).

Maybe the americans hold on to their roots because the country is so huge and diverse? So that you can feel unique among your fellow americans? And if you meet others with the same heritage, you can share similar traditions etc. ("Oh you're irish? happy St. Paddys!" and so on) Yet when you're abroad, it gives foreigners a clearer picture of your background when you say you're american.

• Caffeinated_MES
    Caffeinated_MES Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Internet friends are wonderful, especially with a common goal in mind. I love the weight loss community and the support it brings out. I'm MFP obsessed and check in daily, right now for weightloss but intend to continue for maintenance- purchased Premium as a commitment to myself that I would. If you like positive support, and someone who loves to post messages to their friends, send me a request! P.S in case it is important- MFP won't show my current journey, as there was a dark period of no smart phone in my life- down to 143 from 225lb.
  • loridarlin41506
    loridarlin41506 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Greetings from the state of Idaho in the USA ☺ I am looking for some new friends too so please add me :) We can help inspire one another!
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello from New York! Also introverted, also new(ish) to MFP. Can use all the positive thinking and encouragement I can get! My ancestors are Irish, Scottish, English, French and German, but I'm as American as apple pie! Feel free to add me! I'm on here a lot and will keep in touch!
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Scottish and LOVE your post! Let's be Internet buddies...they're the best kind
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm another American, but in Washington State. We have a similar end goal, and the (hopefully intentional) Heinlein reference caught my eye. Friends?
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not buying that whole "I'm not a viking" thing for a minute. But in all seriousness I need metalhead friends. I don't know if I'm an introverted not but I am a carnivore. I also like to think I'm driven and goal oriented. Feel free to add me....that goes out to all you other metalheads as well.