look at my diary please

Options
I am feeling very drained today. I did my usual 45 minute walk with my kids and dogs, volunteered a few hours with some seniors, and that's all I want to do today. Normally I'm full of energy but then I get these slumps and fall off the wagon with crap food. Please look at my diary and give me suggestions and support. I log what food I'm going to eat the day before and tweak it as the day goes on, so tomorrow's is done. And, feel free to add me as a friend

Replies

• slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. Can't view your diary; message said its private.
  • AuntieCeeCee
    AuntieCeeCee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's weird. I have it set to public
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Your diary is visible on a computer (maybe not on a phone?).

I’m not sure what I could point out, you seem to be eating just fine, and are even taking vitamins (including B, which is I think sometimes related to energy). This might seem silly, but are you getting enough sleep? I have slump-y days too, and I’m usually fatigued due to being ill-rested.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Agree, food looks good maybe, you need more water and sleep.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You always seem to be a few to several hundred calories shy of your target of 1700. Maybe you just need to eat more.
  • AuntieCeeCee
    Options
    I drink water but I tend to forget to log it
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My first tip to you would be to eat your calorie goal. If you're feeling like you're 'crashing' then you are likely to slip into bad habits.

Also... There's a lot of sugar in your diet.

Sugar is terrible for blood sugar levels, causing them to go all over the place - which will give you that crashing feeling.

Eat more slow-burning sources of nutrition.

For more quick information:

Glycemic_index
  • angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Are you anemic?
  • lovethepirk
    lovethepirk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Auntie,

I just looked at your last 3 days and concur with Shawsan that you have too much sugar. Let's examine sugar for a second....sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Fructose is not healthy for you unless it is coupled with solid fiber. A banana has 14 grams of sugar so you are consuming 7 grams of fructose, but at least there is some fiber to aid that. I did not look at the quality of your sugar intake.

Bring those sugars down and replace with more complex carbs or better yet green/colorful veggies. I eat a ton on broccoli cucumbers sweet peppers carrots sweet potatoes....lots of color there which are polyphenols.

Watch this MD talk about how the body processes fructose here and you will see the large amount of Uric Acid and VLDL that is produced. I would highly encourage you to watch the entire video, but the biochemistry should at least be watched so you know the why behind the what....
    https://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM?t=48m15s
  • Emilia777
    Options
    I don’t agree that sugar is necessarily an issue. I seldom go over 50g per day (by accident, not design) and I’m still fatigued on occasion. How much sugar you eat is up to you, notwithstanding a doctor’s recommendation.
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Emilia, I'm not sure you understood what we were saying to her. We were saying that her over consumption of sugar 'could' be a reason for fatigue. Over 100g of sugar is most likely not healthy, that is over 50grams of fructose.

If you think that eating 50 grams of fructose is healthy than I would encourage you to read about the levels of VLDL and uric acid that is produced from the fructose. Fructose metabolism is pretty well established science at this point.

I think a nutritional biochemist would agree that if she reduced the sugar and increased the glucose(veggies) her body(machine) would run more efficiently and kick off less bad chemicals. I don't care for the AHA but they have healthy female consumption of sugar at I think less than 30 grams.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Emilia, I'm not sure you understood what we were saying to her. We were saying that her over consumption of sugar 'could' be a reason for fatigue. Over 100g of sugar is most likely not healthy, that is over 50grams of fructose.

If you think that eating 50 grams of fructose is healthy than I would encourage you to read about the levels of VLDL and uric acid that is produced from the fructose. Fructose metabolism is pretty well established science at this point.

I think a nutritional biochemist would agree that if she reduced the sugar and increased the glucose(veggies) her body(machine) would run more efficiently and kick off less bad chemicals. I don't care for the AHA but they have healthy female consumption of sugar at I think less than 30 grams.

Fair enough, there are no guarantees. Though I appreciate your good intentions, I simply have not seen any peer-reviewed studies that support the view that you put forth. If you have any studies to share though, I’d be happy to take a look at them. Also, we don’t know how much of each type of sugar the OP consumes (unless you’ve analyzed her diary more than I have).
  • lovethepirk
    Options
    Just look up fructose metabolism there is enough to keep you busy for a week. I posted a link to a video if you want to sit back and relax.

The sugar source she is eating is in a way meaningless as it is broken down to basically 50% glucose and 50% fructose. It his the blood the same regardless if it is honey, table sugar, or a fruit. The micro nutrients and anti oxidants will be different but 100 grams of sugar is 100 grams of sugar, doesn't matter that much.

Read about fructose metabolism in depth and then post some thoughts when you are done. Low density lipoproteins are not good and read how much of that is produced from fructose....also the uric acid produced from the fructose will inhibit nitric oxide which helps the arteries and helps with fatigue.
  • Sephixteeo
    Sephixteeo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't really log my water, either. It does seem as though if I forget to drink more, I get really tired and just unmotivated that evening/ next day. And also perhaps eat closer to goal, as suggested above. All great thoughts above.
  • AuntieCeeCee
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input