Healthy Recipes for Luau?

Options
kalisious
kalisious Posts: 7 Member
My friend is having a Luau themed party tomorrow afternoon and I want to take something healthy for everyone to munch on! The only problem is most foods that fall into this category are higher in fat and sugar..
Does anyone know any recipes or snack ideas that are relatively low fat, low cal foods?
Thanks! :)

Replies

• angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    what about fruit kabobs? with fruit that lower in cals like strawberries, cantaloupe, mango...and a nice bowl of greek yogurt on the side for a dip.
  • hollykmckinney
    Options
    What about fresh fruit skewers with more tropical fruits and maybe a cilnatro lime drizzle or dippins sauce?
  • hollykmckinney
    Options
    Hahaha Great minds think alike!!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    mmmm fruit kabobs sounds great! When I first read that I though "Hawiian Haystacks" but they aren't really a "snack" it's more like a salad bar, and it's moderatly healthy...But I'll give you recipe anyway :) I never use measurments, just eye ball the amount for how many people you want.

Chicken: Shreaded (I normally boil mine and season with salt and pepper)
    cooked rice
    canned or fresh pineapple chunks
    green onion
    Chinese crunchy noodles (you know those things they put on top of lots of asian salads....they're kinda like asian croutons)
    coconut
    Cheddar Cheese: Shreaded
    Almonds: Slivered
    Tomatoe: chopped
    and your choice of sauce (I like sweet and sour or some kind of ginger dressing)

i think each time I make this I use different topping options but you get the point

Take all ingredients, put them out in bowls and allow everyone to make their own salad (Rice and crunchy noodles are the base)...DELICOUS!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I want to come to your luau!!!!!!! I am trying to think of something creative and fun.... the other girls have fantastic ideas with the fruit kababos. Hmmm.. What about a Punch -- Tropicana Trop50 Pineapple Mango Juice Drink is 50 calories per cup.... add frozen red and green grapes, pineapple, and strawberries? What about a fresh mango salsa? or I found a recipe fora
    Tropical Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette. Her'es the link
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tropical-Salad-with-Pineapple-Vinaigrette/Detail.aspx