Crooked bar when free squatting!! HELP

Options
saruuhm
saruuhm Posts: 71 Member
So my last three leg sessions as soon as I unrack the bar, the left side of the bar turns to the back and the right side turns to the front... This has never been a problem for me until recently, a couple weeks ago I was squatting 205 for 3 and didn't have this issue or any pain/tension. I've tried repositioning my hands and the bar, but it's still happening no matter what weight I have on the bar. Does anyone know what's going on or has anyone else experienced this?

I also stretch and foam roll often, so I don't think it's an issue of flexibility

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    improper bar position, gonna have to see a photo
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    What I find helps is bringing my hands on the bar closer to my shoulders and flexing my back. It creates a good foundation for the bar. This is the only thing that comes to mind...
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ^I'm surprised uncle rip let him hold the bar like that with his wrists. OUCH.

ps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    ^I'm surprised uncle rip let him hold the bar like that with his wrists. OUCH.

Yes the wrist also surprised me.

Ditto. He even talks about wrist positioning in Starting Strength.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    What I find helps is bringing my hands on the bar closer to my shoulders and flexing my back. It creates a good foundation for the bar. This is the only thing that comes to mind...

Def wanna flex your back and keep it tight. Bringing the bar lower on your traps should keep the bar from twisting on you. Keep your scapula retracted and tight and pin the bar right on them.
  • saruuhm
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone!

My form or how I hold/place the bar hasn't changed, at least I don't think so. I'm doing everything the same as I have been since I've started squatting. I tried just taking the weight off of the bar and just getting a feel for new positioning and it was still happening. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out now.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

My form or how I hold/place the bar hasn't changed, at least I don't think so. I'm doing everything the same as I have been since I've started squatting. I tried just taking the weight off of the bar and just getting a feel for new positioning and it was still happening. Maybe I'm just psyching myself out now.

could be you have tight shoulders/chest/lats meaning you can't get into the proper position on one side. Do a full upper body mobility warm up before squatting next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM
  • saruuhm
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

could be you have tight shoulders/chest/lats meaning you can't get into the proper position on one side. Do a full upper body mobility warm up before squatting next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM

That makes sense, maybe I'm hitting traps/shoulders to close to leg day.... I just don't really feel any discomfort in my traps or anywhere when holding the bar, it feels completely normal but the bar looks ridiculous
    I do that's why I'm so confused on why this is happening, I've been doing the warm ups that Bradley Martyn does before he squats.