Paleo Diet

Options
I have heard good things about it, but I am wondering if anyone here has tried following the Paleo lifestyle before. What do you think of it? Any tips?
*Also feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I love seeing motivational people on my dash*
Jess

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I ate Paleo for a few months a couple of years ago. It's really unnecessary and wasn't sustainable for me. It was also SUPER expensive and while I love the taste of grass fed beef, and ghee was my absolute favorite thing, I found myself craving the things I was restricting myself from.

I didn't lose that much weight and felt like I was constantly suffering from the meat sweats.

All in all, I found that CICO and accurately tracking my macros has been what helps me. I don't really crave things because I make sure that if I'm desperate for some chocolate, I fit it into my day. Personally, I don't find the restriction diets necessary since I don't have a medical condition that necessitates it and - for me - it's about losing weight and developing habits that I can carry with me long-term.

• 4thebikinijess
    4thebikinijess Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The reason why I wanted to try Paleo eating is because I can't eat gluten. Anytime I do it hurts my stomach and I feel sick the whole day pretty much.
    Thank you for the info :) . I plan to research it some more.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The search function on this board will give you many threads to read.
  • Cantstopmyshine1993
    Cantstopmyshine1993 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have not done it but I know someone who does & has had great results.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I could not fathom eating like paleolithic man... I don't really like raw meat, and rending it right from the carcass without tools to process it is almost nauseating to consider. God forbid you tear open the entrails (blech)!

Also, I don't dig doing the hunter-gatherer thing either. I work full time, so walking all day, and eating whatever I happen across doesn't fit well with my schedule.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The reason why I wanted to try Paleo eating is because I can't eat gluten. Anytime I do it hurts my stomach and I feel sick the whole day pretty much.

Then why not just cut gluten?

• osz1810
    osz1810 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been Paleo on/off for few years, and I think it's fantastic, first time I tried it I lost 20lbs.
    First week is the hardest , you'll crave sugar but after that you'll do fine.
    I think it's best way to eat.
    I'm back on Paleo again and not looking back.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Have you been checked for Celiac disease?
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i have since cut grains from my diet (since feb 2) so basically, i eat paleo. i'm not "hardcore" paleo because i will eat cheese on the rare occasion and today, for the first time since feb 2, i had popcorn at my movie date (it was also the best popcorn EVER :)).

as long as you eat healthy - no processed foods, fresh/wholesome foods you cook, no processed/sugary junk then you will be fine.

ps - cutting grains was a choice i made to fix my eczema and sensitive gums, not for weight loss. the extra weight loss was a bonus!
  • ande4735
    ande4735 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on the clean paleo diet for a week. I am doing it to support my fiance who was prescribed the diet by his dr. due to gallbladder issues. It is very hard to keep up because of the restrictions but I have lost 6 pounds this week by really sticking with it. Our weekend hobby is finding good craft beer, so we have had to make a couple of changes but I'm hoping in the end it will make us both healthier!
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I live by an 80-20 rule. I started it this year. I like my results so far. I live with an emphasis on healthy food and the odd condiment or lo carb bar. I just use Paleo as a base and take it one meal at a time.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i enjoy eating paleo and try to base most my food choices on it. i find i feel fuller and have less cravings. i am by no means strict about it though. it's simply a guideline i follow 'most' the time. give it a go. see how u feel. it doesn't hurt to try if your interested