How to keep excercising

Options
hi all I'm new here and looking to gain motivation and support to a healthier life style. Interested in tips on how to fit quality excercise in to a busy work schedule. Anyone got recommendations?

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You gotta make time. You can't just find it.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Don't think of exercise as a chore that you have to do. Find things that are fun and that you'll look forward to doing. Think about your interests and look for ways to incorporate exercise. If you like the outdoors, take a walk on lunch break or just after work; if you are watching TV, grab a set of weights or resistance bands and do exercises as you're watching; if you like tennis, stop by the courts after work or find a wall to hit a tennis ball against. The more you think that you *have* to exercise, the more of a burden it will be.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Don't think of exercise as a chore that you have to do. Find things that are fun and that you'll look forward to doing. Think about your interests and look for ways to incorporate exercise. If you like the outdoors, take a walk on lunch break or just after work; if you are watching TV, grab a set of weights or resistance bands and do exercises as you're watching; if you like tennis, stop by the courts after work or find a wall to hit a tennis ball against. The more you think that you *have* to exercise, the more of a burden it will be.

This is great advice! Definitely find fun things that you enjoy doing that gets you active and keeps you moving. Also, don't be afraid to try some new things and tell yourself that you will give an activity a legitimate chance before you decide if it isn't for you. I joined a running group about a month ago because I desperately want to be a runner. Even though I was terrified about being way overweight and wanting to run, it was the best decision I have made in a long time. I love the group because everyone is so supportive and the leader of the group is super encouraging.

I like to switch things up too and have slowly built up a small home gym when I just don't feel like going outside or to the gym. Some days I complete a video, work on the elliptical, box, and kettlebell workouts are a favorite too. Switching it up for me helps to keep it feeling fresh and keeps my mind and body challenged.

Good luck!
  • chastityhudson
    chastityhudson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started going to Orangetheory Fitness after work. It's an hour long workout in a group setting but with a trainer. The workout is planned so all you have to do is show up and do what the trainer says. I'm busy but I've committed to making the time to make it work. It really helps me to not have to figure out what to do since the workout is already planned. Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    you have to make the time.

i have 2 teenagers, a 9 year old, a disabled (partially paralyzed) husband and an 83 year old grandfather i watch after. and 11 cats, 2 dogs, grandfathers disgusting cat, and a full time job.

i work out, at the gym, 5 days a week, an hour at a time. plus zumba class on friday (when i can fit that in- since its a set time its sometim4es harder for me to make it)

if you want to do it, you find the time.
  • LactoVeggie
    LactoVeggie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's always a battle to stay on track.
    I found this great product that has helped me loose weight without any crazy dieting...
    Shakeology.com/LactoVeggie

I started using it regularly for two weeks and lost 7 pounds without changing my routine.
    I'm pretty shocked so I had to share
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    as everyone said - you have to make the time. if you know you're going to be too tired after work to workout, then do it first thing in the morning or during lunch. i workout at 5am to workout 5 days a week and 8am on sundays. i love exercising - this is time for ME! don't think of it as a chore and find something you like.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    You gotta make time. You can't just find it.

• alyxls
    alyxls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I work 12-14 hour work days and CAN'T get up before work to exercise but I schedule it in my planner and workout after work. You have to find something you like to do so its not torture. I do TurboFire and love it. It's a good cardio workout and it goes by so fast. There's no magic answer, you just have to force yourself to do it until it's habit.
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    jules_h31 wrote: »
    hi all I'm new here and looking to gain motivation and support to a healthier life style. Interested in tips on how to fit quality excercise in to a busy work schedule. Anyone got recommendations?
    i work 50 hours plus most weeks i make the time to exercise!

get off your backside and get active! stop the bs excuses
    get the diet right
    nothing will change unles you have the will the determination and drive to get there
  • alyxls
    alyxls Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jules_h31 wrote: »
    i work 50 hours plus most weeks i make the time to exercise!

get off your backside and get active! stop the bs excuses
    get the diet right
    nothing will change unles you have the will the determination and drive to get there

^exactly what they said!
  • jules_h31
    jules_h31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all those that gave genuine support. Much appreciated. Thought I would share this advise I got from another site. The best excercise is longer sustained periods of movement. So link excercise to everyday life. When you vacuum the house move the furniture in one room and spend longer vacuuming. When you are dusting. Squat to dust the skirting and stretch to reach the picture rail do this up down right round your room. Every day household chores can me made into a more intense workout and you still get your jobs done. That sort of thing. I thought it was very helpful.
  • utesycho
    utesycho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We had a trainer that gives us a weight lifting regime 3 days a week. They just create a plan for us then we take it to the gym and do it. It takes about 30-45 minutes and then we do cardio. I used to do cardio first then weights but the trainer said thats what most people do but it should be reversed. The wife found doing the in gym exercises bored her so we started walking using an App called "map my hike". We live in a area with lots of elevation change & I was surprised at how many calories we were able to burn just walking. If I walk alone I listen to podcasts, it really makes my execise time enjoyable. Best of luck.
  • lauraweres
    lauraweres Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    you have to make the time.

i have 2 teenagers, a 9 year old, a disabled (partially paralyzed) husband and an 83 year old grandfather i watch after. and 11 cats, 2 dogs, grandfathers disgusting cat, and a full time job.

i work out, at the gym, 5 days a week, an hour at a time. plus zumba class on friday (when i can fit that in- since its a set time its sometim4es harder for me to make it)

if you want to do it, you find the time.

Wow! I take my hat off to you, you have big responsibilities however your strong for being able to find that time , i bet you see the gym as you time, time to de stress!
  • JDSII675
    JDSII675 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some great advice so far.

Set yourself a goal(short term amd long term), then write it down. Make it realistic. Its fine to shoot for lofty goals, but missing them will not motivate you.
    Find a program or routine that motivates you.
    Music helps me. I've got a specific album i listen to that helps keep me moving.

Make action and activity part of your lifestyle. When you go to the store or work, park further away than you normally would to get a few extra steps in. For example, I have a favorite spot at the grocery store in the middle of the parking lot. If applicable take the stairs instead of the elavtor.
    Make fitness a (good) habit. Doing this will help you by making the action of exercise a priority that you will fit into your schedule amidst your other obligations.
    Like others said, I work out in the morning before work, because i know that after work, the motivation to be physical just wouldn't be there.
    Good luck!!!!