Anyone else with anxiety?

Options
I'm trying to eat clean (again .. about 2 years ago I was in the best shape of my life) in order to help feel the best I possibly can. I've seen some studies linking the health of one's gut to one's mental health, so I'm giving it all I've got. Anyone have success with lowering their anxiety at all with supplements/vitamins or clean eating? I'd love to add y'all as friends, especially if you have open food diaries. Cheers! xx

Replies

• jane2888
    jane2888 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey I suffer really bad from anxiety which doesn't help with weight loss, if love a buddy to help motivate each other, I recently lost my job which kept me very active and since then iv put in 3 stone in weight in 4 months, I feel ugly,fat and tired and a loser, mad thing is I know what to do to change it but I just can't seem to get the confidence and energy to do it
  • leellenf1
    leellenf1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety..treated every day. Walking helps to work some of it off....
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i have found exercise really helpful. walking/running and swimming are making me feel better. Having my diet under control helps too, but its mainly the feel good factor of the exercise.
  • Jenadenise1017
    Jenadenise1017 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have bad anxiety and I've found that walking helps a lot. Most exercise, actually. Feel free to add me. My food diary is open.
  • aoime
    aoime Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My psychiatrist recommends I take vitamin B complex. I believe some are labled as Vitamin B stress complex. It may help reduce your feelings of anxiety, but of course everyone is different.

I took it regularly with my other medication, but do not take it anymore because I forget to. I have a terrible diet so I felt like I had nothing to lose when taking them since I wasn't getting in vitamins anyway with what I ate. I do not think I took them long enough to see improvement, but I am mentioning them in case you wanted to do your own research on it.

My anxiety causes me to get sick to my stomach, and it takes energy out of me to socialize or go out, so I believe that is why my psychiatrist recommended them. Also for me I try to stay away from caffeine in my diet because I feel like it makes me feel more panicky.
  • Spartanxi
    Spartanxi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    GABA supplement helped me with anxiety !
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety. Running helps me. And effexor
  • strategicchibi
    strategicchibi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine is so bad I hardly leave the house without my partner, what helps it is getting enough sleep, caring about my appearance a tiny bit, and multivitamins, especially magnesium. I can notice the ability to actually talk to someone in public if I do these things.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ive been having a hard time sleeping the last few months and I noticed when I decided to eat fruits and veggies throughout the day and have like a carb/protein at night that my anxiety levels went down enough that I went to sleep normally. Idk if its true or not but Ill go with that.
  • aynos77
    aynos77 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety,and Have been using meds to control it for a few years.

I am now day 19 into a whole food/clean eating approach,and I can tell a difference in every aspect of my life/body. I sleep better,less anxiety,more energy,etc.

Good luck!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with mild anxiety for about 20 years. Studies suggest that moderate exercise is as effective as medication to ameliorate the symptoms. Of course, you should check with your doctor. But aerobic exercise 3-4 days a week almost completely eliminates my anxiety.

"Clean eating" sounds like pseudo-science to me.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with severe anxiety ever since I can remember although it's gotten better as I've gotten older. It frequently leads to binges. Feel free to add.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended 1-2 pills a day of magnesium for stress and anxiety. Exercise has helped me too.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Honestly exercise has been the most helpful part of losing weight for my anxiety. I notice that if I stop working out consistently, the anxiety ramps up and becomes more overwhelming. I also have gotten good relaxation benefits from guided meditation, as other types of meditation don't seem to work as well for me.

I'd also strongly recommend seeing your doctor and getting a baseline blood panel if you can. Some vitamin deficiencies' side effects include anxiety. I'm so glad I got mine tested when I was first starting, as I had a vit. D and B12 deficiency, which was making me feel miserable physically, which led to me feeling miserable emotionally. I was depressed and anxious all the time. As those deficiencies were fixed, I felt better, saw more success, and my confidence increased as a result. Recently I was retested and those deficiencies were fixed, but I'm managing, so I need to keep taking my supplements. I also was surprised to learn that I had developed an iron deficiency from donating blood frequently, which I thought I had been on top of.

Please don't start taking supplements without seeing where you're already at. Some vitamins and minerals remain in your body if taken in surplus and can cause problems. Don't waste your time, money, and possibly your heath because of what you hear through the grape vine. Often what you think you might need is far from it, and what you'd least expect is what you really need. If you struggle with anxiety regularly, I'd also recommend looking in to seeing a mental health professional. I started seeing a licensed clinical social worker to help with my anxiety (I have tourettes which is made worse by anxiety/stress) and it has been very helpful. Best of luck, and feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me immensely but I also have to be careful about things I'm eating. Artificial sweeteners, to much caffeine, to much sugar and/or refined carbs all amp up my anxiety. I do take magnesium (very helpful!) and I take a B vitamin complex but I learned the hard way that I cannot take synthetic B vitamins. I had the worst anxiety attack of my life when I started a complex that I later learned was synthetic. I take a complex from Thorne Laboratories that is not synthetic and has Gaba in it that seems to be helping me quite a lot. I also use a deep breathing/relaxation app that helps when I'm having an anxiety attack. My last suggestion is make sure you have someone to talk to. My husband is my person so if I'm having an issue I tell him and just knowing he's aware, calm and understanding, takes some of the power out of the anxiety. Maybe it's just because I don't feel like I'm battling it alone and it helps a lot that he doesn't make me feel stupid.